Thread: Rod Repair?

Default Rod Repair?

I've got a Sage Graphite III GFL that I broke about 5 inches up from the cork. Can this rod be repaired? Any recommendations on repair work?
    Ed Wahl
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

I would contact Sage. They can probably repair it for you. If not, contact Jim Clarkson at Raptor Rod Works in Chico. 530-894-2062
    Lincoln Gray
    LG'S Fly Fishing Adventures
    530-520-6895
    http://lgflyfishingadventures.com

Ed,

Start with SAGE repair and politely talk with Mark Hume. Tell him you have one of the original SAGE GFL's and " is it still under the "lifetime" warranty? " Tell him that if the rod is discontinued can they still repair it, or can they exchange it for a newer model that they have in stock? They really will work with you.

A couple of weeks ago I sent in one of the original RPLX #8 wt. 2-pc.. This rod was at least 20 years old. One of the snake guides was loose and all the others were showing signs of cracking. Mark said "no problem, they still make all their old blanks in house". I offered that if they didn't have a two piece rod I'd be happy with a four piece if it was easier for them. Mark called me back and said they didn't have any four piece blanks , but they did have three piece. "Would I mind a new three piece?" NOT AT ALL A couple of days ago I got a brand NEW three piece RPLX in the mail.

Thank You SAGE for the excellent service. Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

That's the first time I'd ever heard that the older blanks were still available. I broke (okay, left on the roof of the car) a B790 GFL years ago, and would be willing to pay far more than my wife would approve of to find that blank again. I'll have to give than a call and see if that can be arranged! Thanks Tony.

Sage has the best warranty in the business. They must have a huge amount of blanks and parts. Cost is $25 for current rods. $75 for rods up to ten years old and $125 for classic rods. Used to break a lot of rods (Sage SPs) before I was informed that metal studs are needed for Nor Cal Waters!! http://www.sageflyfish.com/repair-pricing They also make the best rods but I try to buy them after a new model comes out when they are reasonably priced.

Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln Gray View Post
    I would contact Sage. They can probably repair it for you. If not, contact Jim Clarkson at Raptor Rod Works in Chico. 530-894-2062
    Clarkson is the man for any rod repair. Worked for the Powell family decades ago wrapping top end rods for Walton and Press - He is the best!
    "I fish, I write, I travel, and I'm hungry for more!"
    http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/
    The premier fly fishing guide service for the northern sierra.

It is pretty simple, if you do not have an account at Sage go to their website and create one. Then register the rod. I did the same with an old RPL that was broken. They do not have the blanks in hand, they have the mandrels and materials and they make you a new section. You contact them for a repair and they will send you a mailing label. Send the whole rod and they will fix it and mail it back, total cost is $75 and that includes mailing both ways. You do not need to contact anyone by name at Sage, just fill out the form and it will get the ball rolling.

When you register the blank, they will show you as the owner, it does not matter if you are not the first owner or don't have the warranty card. They are the best.
    Last edited by cworthing; 02-18-2018 at 06:59 PM. Reason: added info