Thread: Drifting the Mokelumne (sea lion free?)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
    That debate will never end, and probably deserves it's own thread. But the way I see it, the American is screwed up beyond repair with regard to re-establishing the original wild fish runs and numbers. And the hatchery ain't going away, so there will always be interbreeding between "wild" fish and pellet-eaters. So, since the river is already completely jacked up, I say the more steelhead in there the better. That's why I don't kill any steelhead.

Just think how many more fish would be in that river, and all rivers, if every single fish were released.
    I agree! But we all know that is too good to be true.

I fish quite a bit and try to give honest and accurate feedback. The fish I caught were all wild resident rainbows with adipose fins. I didn't catch any hatchery fish returning. Bummer. Wish I had. With all the pressure these rivers get I just am a firm believer in C&R. Not because I fly fish and its cool and trendy. But I would rather they be long term and sustainable fisheries.

Oh well, like I said before its a nice piece of water that is fishing pretty well, but I would avoid weekends. Not really my cup of tea but its close for many to wet a line so I can see the appeal. If you have a kayak or pontoon its a nice float.