Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Drifting the Mokelumne (sea lion free?)

Any reports from the Moke? It was a big salmon year there at the hatchery. Just curious how that has translated not the steelie side.
    And pontoon (outcast) or kayak is best for sure.

I swing there all the time and cover loads of water
    "...and on the eighth day God created Police Officers so Firemen would have heroes..."

I decided to check it out myself.... Haven't been this year. Water conditions are really nice. Flows are around 350-380 range and pretty clear. The word must be out and its relatively easy to get too because it was busy on a weekday. I bushwhacked and found some good water and was able to get into a few nice fish to hand a bunch of little dinks. Typical winter stuff. Eggs, worms, small mayflies. I swung a bugger as well but no grabs.

BTW, what a bummer. I didn't realize you could use bait out there. Lots of kayaks/pontoons with spinning gear launching night crawlers. Isn't it C&R? Left a bad taste in my mouth.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2134.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	13809

Quote Originally Posted by cdevine View Post
    BTW, what a bummer. I didn't realize you could use bait out there. Lots of kayaks/pontoons with spinning gear launching night crawlers. Isn't it C&R? Left a bad taste in my mouth.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2134.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	13809

It's a river with a hatchery so definitely not C+R. Put and take and greasy bait go together like butter and toast.

But I didn't see people keeping fish. C&R w/ Bait. That is a new thing to me. In any event its crowded and fishing wasn't bad. Would rather drive there than get my car broken into on AR.

Lot of Bait guys feel unless its a 8LBS hatchery fish and Worth Bring home they will. Outside that Its Mainly Hatchery River and Most That fish it do C&R Regardless. . They love the Fight of the Residential fish and the rivers health especially, In the Summer Time Thats river gets Crazy with swimmers and certain Folks that will catch fish , Cook it right there on the Grill and Go catch more to eat. It`s sad state of affairs when you see that . I Always ask why they never Charge an Entry fee to Control those type that have no respect for the River or the Fishery at all. Those that respect the fishery will have no Problem paying a fee. but those that come ,trash it ,leave the trash and there life style at the river really makes East bay Mud spend money cleaning it .
    Troutaholic61

Just wanted to add my 2 cents. I guide the Moke out of a drift boat. There are a few spots that can be a little tight but not too bad. As far as swinging goes most of my clients quickly put down the indicator rod in favor of swinging. Hopefully Im not sounding like a "know it all" just trying to pass on helpful info.

Swung it a couple of weeks ago with an 11’ 4 wt switch, great rod for that river. Sized down a little, and found some playmates on both a small orange comet and black and orange spey pattern. Also got my 2018 steelhead skunk off, technically, with 2 fish over 16”. Thank you DFW regs!

Anyway, nice low gradient water, and fairly uncrowded away from the hatchery stretch.

There’s nothing wrong with keeping fish legally, reguardless the type of fishing one is doing. Especially hatchery fish. Just remember, fly fishing was used to catch fish to eat until CNR became popular among the fly fishing community. I for one would rather eat a hatchery fish than to buy a farmed fish from a store. All hatchery fish get bonked.

Quote Originally Posted by Rossflyguy View Post
    There’s nothing wrong with keeping fish legally, reguardless the type of fishing one is doing. Especially hatchery fish. Just remember, fly fishing was used to catch fish to eat until CNR became popular among the fly fishing community. I for one would rather eat a hatchery fish than to buy a farmed fish from a store. All hatchery fish get bonked.
    By this idea you would need to "bonk" all american river steelhead.... Just sayin. 0_o
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"