Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1st Coastal River trip advice.

I'm always in favor of going even if the conditions aren't great, but, based on flow forecasts/hydrographs, I'm not seeing a single Northern California or Southern California coastal river that will be in shape during your window.

With regard to the main Eel, the highest flows that I ever encountered where the clarity was decent was around 6000cfs. That is the flow where the river starts to get a little green tint. But optimal on the Eel is around 3,000cfs. Unless there is a slide, the river should be a nice light blue color with a few feet of visibility.

And usually......if the main Eel is fishable, all the others in the area are too. Unless there are slides. If you wanna fish the SF Eel, look for flows below about 800cfs on the Leggett gauge. That usually equates to green water down to the confluence.

As noted by others, nothing will be fishable on your target window.

In my opinion the midweek next week to the next weekend. This week might be off color and high on most coastal rivers.
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

Default Coastal Rivers

Quote Originally Posted by Chukwithak View Post
    My uncle and I are on our 2nd year swinging and chasing steel head, but this will be our first trip away from the LAR. Heading up to the Eel for the 24th - 28th. There is a storm supposed to come in early this week, but hoping it's not to bad. Any advice for the Eel is appreciated. Flies, sections, etc. We're staying in the state park in Weott.
    Eel, SF Eel, Van Duzen, Mad, Chetco, Sixes will all be blown for the next ten days. The Eel got a third bigger between this morning and this afternoon. Smith may come into shape but it will be BIG and PUSHY.