Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: waiting for the end of the world

It was an employee of our civil defense, here locally that was responsible for pushing the button to send out the warning. I blame them both, trump and yung for the childish rhetoric that has escalated this nuclear threat. I think that threatening nuclear war is stupid by anyone. Deterrence is already in place, there is no need to escalate the problem. Humanity is at a cross roads, we either have to change or we won't survive. Mems.
    Don Memmer

Quote Originally Posted by mems View Post
    It was an employee of our civil defense, here locally that was responsible for pushing the button to send out the warning. I blame them both, trump and yung for the childish rhetoric that has escalated this nuclear threat. I think that threatening nuclear war is stupid by anyone. Deterrence is already in place, there is no need to escalate the problem. Humanity is at a cross roads, we either have to change or we won't survive. Mems.
    How about blaming the real culprits. The administrations that allowed NK to get to a point where they actually may be able to deliver a nuclear warhead at distance? Where's the blame for Obama for playing kissy face with the worlds bad actors for 8 years?

Trump's rhetoric may or may not be an problem. But its NOT a problem he created. It those who allowed NK to get to this point.

It was Clinton that started it all by giving them billions, However Obama did what he did best and that was NOTHING but kick the can down the road.....I believe Trump will put them in there place. Trump is what we needed 20 years ago...my 2 cents

Carl Blackledge

I don’t think Don’s comments really warranted a debate on NK policy (which is a huge topic!), nor a debate on trump here. Pretty sure most good folks here are biting their tongue in order to keep this civil. I think that his comments were integral to the context of the experience, at least that’s the way I read it. I also think he was being pretty polite in his wording, compared to how many might choose to express similar sentiment.

Let’s not drift off the deep end on this. Cool story Don, sometimes experiences like that can really put it all in perspective like nothing else. Tight lines folks!
    JB

P.S. I was only half joking about taking those guys fishing together. Don, you’re nearly half way between them, take em fishing!
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Jason,

Calm down....Nobody here is going to have a debate about North Korea...At least I am not, I shouldn't have commented at all in the first place after all this is a fishing site

Carl Blackledge

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    I don’t think Don’s comments really warranted a debate on NK policy (which is a huge topic!), nor a debate on trump here. Pretty sure most good folks here are biting their tongue in order to keep this civil. I think that his comments were integral to the context of the experience, at least that’s the way I read it. I also think he was being pretty polite in his wording, compared to how many might choose to express similar sentiment.

Let’s not drift off the deep end on this. Cool story Don, sometimes experiences like that can really put it all in perspective like nothing else. Tight lines folks!
    JB

P.S. I was only half joking about taking those guys fishing together. Don, you’re nearly half way between them, take em fishing!
    The OP chose to put out a nice story about a bad day. But he chose to politicize the story in the first place with a comment that did zero to enhance the story.

Thanks for the history lesson boys, by the way I have been teaching US History for 40 years. How far back do you want to go in the blame game; FDR for the Mahnhattan Project, Truman for the Korean War, Dulles for Massive Retaliation? I told you my thoughts, you have a right to your opinions. It is a democracy I respect your opinions, even if you don't respect mine. In a democracy we elect our officials, it is ultimately the fault of the American voters for whom is in office. It is also our responsibility to keep them accountable for their actions. As a history teacher I encourage my students to be active members of our society to be socially responsible and attempt to inculcate virtue in my students and to expect the same from our leaders.
    I would like to ammend my previous offer. I hope to fish with some of you one day and the beer is still on me. Mems.
    Don Memmer

Didn't some one say something about never talking politics or religion between friends ?
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Quote Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
    "uh oh"
    "what?"
    "world ends in 20 minutes"
    "wow- can we get home by then?"
    "nope"
    "want a beer?"
    "sure"

Brilliant.
    My favorite response and I agree!
    If I am going to go it may as well be when I am fishing!
    I have already informed my wife and kids that if I become bed ridden. Wheel me down to the riverbank with a fly rod and a thermos of coffee. Come back and check on me once in a while (at least to refill my thermos).

Mems said "It was an employee of our civil defense, here locally that was responsible for pushing the button to send out the warning. I blame them both, trump and yung for the childish rhetoric that has escalated this nuclear threat. I think that threatening nuclear war is stupid by anyone. Deterrence is already in place, there is no need to escalate the problem. Humanity is at a cross roads, we either have to change or we won't survive."
    I live on the other side of the world and agree 100% with this sentiment.