Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Little Truckee

Frank- Some correction is needed. I was advocating for protection of Lavezzola Creek with that pile of hard copy letters. Doolittle had planned to connect Lavezzola, Downey, and Pauley Creeks via aqueduct near their headwaters and dam the watershed. My fight was actually more to protect the creek and North Yuba from impoundment than from over fishing.

I never advocated for the Little Truckee based on a promise to the Truckee Chamber of Commerce, Rotary, Soroptomists and the Truckee Sportsman's Group. I promised, that if they supported my plan for special catch and release regulations on Martis Creek and the Big Truckee, I wouldn't promote any other other regulations that might restrict their bait fishing constituency (I had already pushed through the first stage of C&R on the Truckee as well as on the East Carson River and they felt threatened). All of these groups were initially opposed to special regulations on the Truckee, but they each ultimately wrote a letter of support to present to the commission.

I personally concurred with special regs on the Little T but simply couldn't voice my support due to the promises made.
    Last edited by Ralph; 01-17-2018 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    Frank- Some correction is needed. I was advocating for protection of Lavezzola Creek with that pile of hard copy letters. Doolittle had planned to connect Lavezzola, Downey, and Pauley Creeks via aqueduct near their headwaters and dam the watershed. My fight was actually more to protect the creek from impoundment than from over fishing.

I never advocated for the Little Truckee based on a promise to the Truckee Chamber of Commerce, Rotary, Soroptomists and the Truckee Sportsman's Group. I promised, that if they supported my plan for special catch and release regulations on Martis Creek and the Big Truckee, I wouldn't promote any other other regulations that might restrict their bait fishing constituency. All of these groups were initially opposed to special regulations on the Truckee, but they each ultimately wrote me a letter of support to present to the commission.

I personally concurred with special regs on the Little T but simply couldn't voice my support due to the promises made.
    Ralph---thanks for the correction on the pile of letters to F & G Commission. My recollection is that this when you had issues with CT at the time, because Cal Trout pre-empted your advocacy for Lavezzolla creek at a CA F & G commission meeting....per a phone conversation we had.

I'm pretty confident (95%) there was a comment in TROUT magazine in a side-panel (or printed somewhere else?) that the LT was a prospect for regs...Does that sound correct?

Not being privy to your local fishery activism at the time relative to Truckee & Martis & Special regs...your activism pre-empted mine by 2-3 years. I did write/had published a hard-copy letter to the editor of the Sierra Sun in '81 supporting special regs on the BT....

Please say hello to Brant Oswald...he may or may not remember me from when he was working with the Kriegers at Club Pacific ..."back in the day". I'm thinking about fishing the spring creeks in April and may hire him for a day to get oriented.

As for the "bait fishing constituency" they were really ticked at the local fly anglers because of the new "no-bait" regs instituted to the CA/NV border starting in '07 or '08....I told a couple of them it was F & G, not the advocacy of the fly anglers who made that decision.

Chris---aside from hooks found in mouths...how about missing/deformed lips...and an occasional "one-eyed Jack" trout?

I'm going fishing on the BT.....before the snows start.

Frank R. Pisciotta
    Last edited by Frank R. Pisciotta; 01-17-2018 at 02:17 PM.

Thanks fellas for all you've done in our neck of the woods!

Frank, enjoy your time on the big t! Yeah, that multiple fly fish sort of was my wake up call. Didn't feel real good about that one. And thanks to both you and ralph for all the hard work over the years. Sounds like there is a good amount of support for a closure like the general regs season.

Frank- I ended my relationship with Cal Trout over Lavezzola. Long story, but they refused to support the effort because it was spearheaded by the FFF and May, always paranoid, was afraid they would get most of the credit and be seen as a competitor to Cal Trout for angler conservation dollars. Behind the scenes he lobbied against it, but at the Commission meeting in Sacramento, we packed the room with supporters and he saw which way the wind was blowing and at the last second raised his hand in support. The next Streamkeeper's log extolled the virtues of Lavezzola, and "another Cal Trout win."

Urged by warden Gary Horn, I pushed to get Martis CREEK into the regs to make enforcement on the Truckee and Martis Creek Reservoir easier. Martis Creek Reservoir was a wild trout water from the get go, but guys caught holding dead trout would say they caught them in the creek.

Regarding Brant. I just spent last weekend with him and Rusty in Bozeman. Three old guys staring down a bottle of tequila and fine tuning the action of Rusty's exquisite cane rods. The Madison is midge city right now.
    Last edited by Ralph; 01-18-2018 at 08:00 AM.

I'll probably get "roasted" for saying this... especially on this site... but I believe the best way to experience and learn is on your own, or with good friends, not to pay someone to show you. It is not the same when commerce is interjected... and we have to acknowledge that our rivers and streams are not the same in part because of the business that trout fishing has become since "back in the day."
    Last edited by kilgore; 02-05-2018 at 07:53 PM.