Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Fly Shop Break-In

Default The Fly Shop Break-In

The Fly Shop in Redding was broken into last week. 14K worth of high-end rods and reels were stolen. Plenty of video of the thieves, so hopefully they will be arrested soon.

http://www.redding.com/search/the%20fly%20shop/
    "Radiate, radiate, radiate far and wide as the lines of latitude and longitude on a globe."
    - John Muir

Scumbags! Sad thing is the new propositions that Californians passed will more than likely result in little to no jail time.
    "...and on the eighth day God created Police Officers so Firemen would have heroes..."

Obviously guys who know nothing about fly fishing equipment. I could walk out of that place with 14K worth of gear under each arm and a few grand more in my pockets!
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy new fly fishing gear and that usually does the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    Obviously guys who know nothing about fly fishing equipment. I could walk out of that place with 14K worth of gear under each arm and a few grand more in my pockets!
    Retail or wholesale...

I think I robbed them yesterday at ISE. I picked up a $350 Patagonia River Salt shell, 2 dozen flies, 5 spools of tippett and two packs of leaders for $110!
    Last edited by Bob Loblaw; 01-22-2018 at 12:49 PM.
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy new fly fishing gear and that usually does the trick.

They were moving some stuff out weren't they. I got a cassette reel I really didn't need for $40 and a bunch of nice streamers at 2 for $1.

So sad... this happens. No surprise in Redding (past drop off point for ex-felons, hope its not still happening?). I remember when The Fly Shop was broken into around 1992 or 1993. I was a young lad (19) working at Kiene's Fly Shop (for my second father Bill Kiene) along with past employee Jeff Blundon (late brother of Joan London- tv celeb). Two (shady) guys walked into the shop while I was taking inventory of fly lines behind the counter. The two (idiots) guys started talking about the prices of the fly reels in the front counter display. They would say "ohhhh, we got that one, while pointing to the Billy Pate Tarpon reel which cost over $500 (back in the day). After several minutes of comparison shopping they eventually asked me if we buy fly reels. We didn't (from crooks) however, since Mike Michalak called us earlier that morning about his fly shop being broken into the night prior, of course we would want to buy fly reels from these "outstanding gentleman"... while calling the cops. I walked back to Bill's office and said "Bill!!! Call the cops, we've got the guys that broke into The Fly Shop at the front counter and I'm buying their fly reels". I walked back out to the counter and the two guys said that they needed to get the fly reels from their car. Within minutes the cops showed up and waited in the back room until the thieves walked back into the shop. When they placed the box of fly reels/stolen goods on the counter the cops walked up from behind and arrested them! Sweet Justice! Point of story... the fly fishing industry is small and word travels quickly and don't take things that don't belong to you and lastly.... get a job! Quick note: If you two guys are out of jail by now and reading this... I moved to Mongolia to become a fly fishing guide years ago. Be good- JP
    Last edited by Jeff Putnam; 01-24-2018 at 06:42 PM.
    Jeff Putnam
    JP Flyfishing Schools
    http://jpflyfishing.com

Classic story, Jeff. Thanks.

I took a fly tying class from you about that time.

Great story Jeff! Gotta love those rare moments of perfect justice. Redding has always seemed like a super shady place to me, but then again it seems like more and more places are getting that way these days. It’s getting so bad we usually lock our door these days, something I have not done since ne moving up to the mountains.
    Looks like they should have no trouble catching the thieves from this recent breakin, hopefully sooner than later!
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Love that you caught them in the "act." Pretty dumb thieves... Any update on the current theft at Fly Shop? Redding is the gateway to such a beautiful north state but unfortunately it has some seedy folk. Hopefully strong patronage and a good show season will overcome their losses.