Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wanna check out the coast.......

Default Wanna check out the coast.......

I am thinking about making a trip up north Saturday to either the Navarro or the Gualala. I've never been to that region and really looking forward to seeing it. Hopefully, the timing is right.... I am going to give King's a call later today to see if they think those two will be in any shape to fish this weekend.

As this will be new water for me , I am not really sure what I am in for so any info offered would be appreciated. Anyone mind telling me if these are swinging rivers or nymphing rivers? Is a 6wt switch overkill? Stick to my 10' 7wt SH? Or both? Are they both fairly accessible?

Never fished the Navarro but have done the Gualala. Fairly good access both lower river and upper river (from different road). The lower river has some pretty classic swing water. I wouldn't nymph it. I like to use a 10' 7wt single hand road, but I see a lot of guys doing two hand stuff. The fish are fresh and in the 6lb to 10 lb range. The 6 wt switch is not overkill.

Regarding flows, it normally clears at around 600. I like to fish it between 300 to 500. I think Friday and Saturday will be prime days. Sunday and Monday it might drop below 300, but will still be open.

The upper water just before it closes to fishing looks to tighten up and appear to be more nymph water. Never fished it though.

I would consider going to the Lower Russian, Lower Gualala and Lower Garcia, in that order.

Check with:

King's Sport & Tackle in Guerneville, CA

http://kingsrussianriver.wixsite.com/kingsrussianriver

Outdoor Pro Shop in Cotati, CA

https://www.outdoorproshop.com/

Maybe get these 2 StreamTime maps?.....Russian River & Gualala & Garcia Rivers.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

You have good advice here so far for the Gualala. I'm pretty sad that I have to be in San Diego this weekend- looks like the timing is gonna be perfect

In the past the Gualala, like other short coastal streams, can be good for 2 or 3 days then get too low and clear again.

If you go over there and stay for a month or three you should be able to hit it right but not every year.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Yikes, yeah its already down to 483 cfs. The weekend may be too late. If it wasn't a 4 hour drive I'd bust out there on Friday. The Mattole clears more slowly. No more rain and Sunday/Monday might be right. Long drive though for potentially dicey conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
    Yikes, yeah its already down to 483 cfs. The weekend may be too late. If it wasn't a 4 hour drive I'd bust out there on Friday. The Mattole clears more slowly. No more rain and Sunday/Monday might be right. Long drive though for potentially dicey conditions.
    Yep. just saw that. Its dropping fast. Probably because we haven't had rain for awhile and the ground is leeching it all up. I'm not used to seeing it drop this fast from the 9,000 it was at just the other day. At this rate, it will likely be closed by Sunday and possibly Saturday. Bummer cause I planned on going up. Its a real bitch to time. The Russian might still be a little brown but Kings will be able to tell you that.

I don't know if I'd go to the Navarro. It is a long ass river and only gets 500 or so fish. too much room for them to spread out. You want short rivers with that kind of fish count. Think Gualala, Garcia, Noyo, etc.

Maybe I'll go check out the San Lorenzo down south since the coastal rivers up north of SF might have had too short of a pulse of flow. Bum deal.

Thanks all. I really appreciate the feedback. I did speak with someone at King's yesterday. Like Bill said, they drop really quick. By the weekend the action will all be down by the lagoon/estuary. Not what I am looking to do....

Anyone have any recent eyes on the Eel? In the grand scheme of things, this wasn't a huge weather event so maybe it might clear?

I drive over the Russian every day on the way to and from work in Healdsburg. It won't fish any time soon. It's completely muddy with zero visibility. And next weeks storms will make things worse. This river takes at least two dry weeks to clear enough to fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
    I drive over the Russian every day on the way to and from work in Healdsburg. It won't fish any time soon. It's completely muddy with zero visibility. And next weeks storms will make things worse. This river takes at least two dry weeks to clear enough to fish.
    The guy i spoke with at Kings said he thought the Russian would be fishable higher up by today. I have no idea what he meant by higher up... but if it is still muddy up in Healdsburg, how high up was this guy thinking?????