Thread: Flows and Info

Default Flows and Info

anybody know what the current/projected flows on the American are. Thinking about driving up and fishing the Sunrise area this week or next..any info would be greatly appreciated..

Quote Originally Posted by njbeast View Post
    anybody know what the current/projected flows on the American are. Thinking about driving up and fishing the Sunrise area this week or next..any info would be greatly appreciated..
    The current and projected flows are 2000 cfs and that likely will not change for a long, long time barring a serious storm or a month of drought.

The water clarity is just off color and a bit dirtier below Watt Ave.

Because Folsom is 54% full and has not been lower than that since March of 2017, and Folsom is a 'bottom-draw' reservoir... the incoming dirty water to Lake Folsom doesn't have much effect on the upper, Lower American River.

What WILL dirty the AR is the runoff from Sailor Bar, Sunrise, Gold River, El Manto, Rossmoor, Goethe, and other places down the line... so the lower you fish on the system, the more stained the water will be.

There have been some really nice fish hooked BUT numbers SO FAR are way down this year.

Problems with juvenile steelhead stock mortality in the hatchery during 2014-2016 as well as drought in prior and overlapping years... will likely equate to a dismal run of returning Eel R. strain steelhead this year.

That will be somewhat offset by a greater number of strays, and wild and hatchery holdover fish spilling over Folsom and Nimbus Dams during the winter of 2016/17.

There's also a decent number of 1.5 year juveniles which seem plumper than usual. Lots of folks call them half pounders but they are not half pounders. There really are no 1/2Ps' in the AR. What we do have are steelhead/trout released by the hatchery or spawned in the river which either stay in the AR a full 2 years or meander to the Sacramento River and/or delta and back to the AR before A) going to the ocean, B) deciding that the AR life is pretty good and staying here indefinitely or C) deciding that the AR life is pretty good but then get a rude awakening because D) either a striper, heron, egret, otter, human, or NOW... SEA LION kills and eats them

Have fun...

Thanks fella's. Spicy...tried to get Gordy to go with me to the Smith last week but he couldn't make the trip. we're playing golf on Friday.. 26c3...with the smaller fish in the system, what are people throwing..Past years I have had pretty good luck with my own olive version of the El Sculpito.

guess I gave you bad info...

Ma Nature gave us RAIN, RAIN, RAIN
    '
    We got 4" of rain in 36 hours so... guess the AR is coming up again.

As Kiene posted, AR is going back up to 3500 today.

Were at roughly 73% of normal rainfall (for 1/4 year spanning October 8 and January.

Big, black leeches, red cooper Johns, shiny silver spoons

Just talked to him the other day as I handle his Insurance.

Hopefully we can cross paths soon.