Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: River Otters on Putah Creek

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Gray View Post
    Okay folks this is getting a little troubling. This all started with a innocent post about seeing otters, and for the record it was my first time I saw otters on Putah Creek. Sorry to disappoint everyone that I haven't seen them more. I have seen other wildlife like pigs, deer, snakes and beavers - no otters.

My guiding is not the way I pay my bills. I actually have a full time job in law enforcement. So hate me for that. Not guiding.

As for the tours - many people that are beginners do not know where to start when they go to a new fishery. Some Fly Shops don't want to help they want to sell and boards like this get a bad name by having some board members not giving them good information. Most of the time they give them s*^t for asking questions. They need help. So they go on a tour. We show them the fishery, talk about the fishery, show them how to rig their rods and then help them while they fish. We do this at multiple fisheries around Northern Cali, just not Putah. People love it - even people on this board.

Defending what I do and how I do it - doesn't sit right with me. So to all of you people that are using handles out there I invite you to come to a tour and see what we do. Then you can judge me.

As for the closure I would love to see Putah closed from November 1 thru March 1. That would give the fish a great a large window to do their thing. I would sign that petition.
    Why the heck would we hate you for working full time in law enforcement?!?! I think that's super amazing and commendable.

My name is Eben Drucker (thus E. Drucker...just whole thing wouldn't fit)...I don't think anyone is intentionally trying to be anonymous! I look forward to seeing you on Putah in February. If you see a silver subie outback stick around and say hello. We can discuss fishing/guiding Putah during the spawn in person.

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Gray View Post
    Saw a big group of river otters on Putah Creek on Friday. Not good!!!
    Scratching my head and wondering why seeing a family of otters is "not good." In my mind, part of a great day on the water is seeing wildlife, and otters are near the top of the list. We obviously fish for different reasons, which is totally fine. I've seen otters on Putah since the 70s - commonly enough that I have even gone there simply to film them. If you'll take the time to grab a stick and pick apart their scats (which are everywhere) you'll see they are comprised mostly of crayfish shells and squawfish scales.
    Last edited by Ralph; 01-18-2018 at 04:21 PM.

Unhappy Otters

Otters are a normal indigenous species in our rivers, but what is troubling, is the Sea Lion that was spotted in te AR basin at the Dam I have seen them as low as the Paradise Beach area but not as high as above Sailor. One guy I fished with videoed two at Sunrise. Let's put things in perspective-should DFW be concerned about our Salmon and Steelhead population?
    "God grant me the serenity to accept the size of fish that I catch, the courage not to fib about it, and the wisdom to know that no one would believe me any way".

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Morgan View Post
    Otters are a normal indigenous species in our rivers, but what is troubling, is the Sea Lion that was spotted in te AR basin at the Dam I have seen them as low as the Paradise Beach area but not as high as above Sailor. One guy I fished with videoed two at Sunrise. Let's put things in perspective-should DFW be concerned about our Salmon and Steelhead population?
    I think if you are worried about your local fisheries the best way to make a difference that you can see is to join a local fly fishing club. If you live in Sac CFFU is really active in conservation. If you live in Davis Fly Fishers of Davis is also really active in conservation. Both clubs get out there and help with shocking surveys, working with CDFW and you can actually talk to CDFW about your concerns and what they are doing to protect your fishing areas. I find it quite rewarding to try and save the fish!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Morgan View Post
    You wanna help salmon and steelhead petition against water allocation and volunteer with DFG and trout unlimited for habitat construction. Sea lions aren’t the problem. They’re showing us there’s a problem if they have to go that far up river for food.