Thread: Kootenays BC - lodges and guide recommendations

Default Kootenays BC - lodges and guide recommendations

Well I think I am going to take the plunge for a Kootenays trip this summer or early fall, with the goal of swinging up some bullies. Looking for collective wisdom on recommendations of places to stay and fishing guides. I would like a full service lodge with dining and spa if possible (keeping the gf happy). We are open to splitting time between two properties. Island Lake Lodge in Fernie caught my eye as a decent possibility.

Would rather do Canada than Montana owing to the favorable exchange rate.

We will probably fish 3-4 days and would like 2-3 days to relax and do other things. In addition to recommendations on lodging and guides I would also value some input on whether it might be best to book travel into/out of Calgary, Kelowna, or Kalispell, or some combination thereof...such as flying into one airport and out of another when we leave.

If you have the time and are close enough, check out Fortress Lake. Top-notch brook trout fishing, incredible scenery. I'd go back in a heartbeat. https://fortresslake.com/

ISE Show Sacramento should have several exhibitors from BC.

I have been to Fernie several times to both fish and ski. It still has a small-town vibe, but it very much a tourist area. You will not feel in the wilds (more like being in Breckenridge) . Island Lake Lodge is probably top lodge in the area. I have stayed there once in summer (nothing derogatory but we were group of guys fishing focused). Wife & I have stayed at Park Place Lodge in town during summer (no spa) and stayed hillside to ski. Problem you may have is availability at this point. 2 guides I have used & recommend are Dave Brown Outfitters and Elk River Guiding Co (elkriver.ca). Wigwam River is the major Bull Trout river in the area and is a classified water, so non-residents are restricted. Check with guides to see if they have non-resident permits available.

Look at air & rental cars costs. Cranbrook BC airport is 1- 1/2hr drive in rental car. Flights from Vancouver and Calgary via Coastal Pacific and Air Canada. Calgary is 3-1/2hr drive. Last time I went it was much cheaper and faster to fly in/out of Kalispell (via SEA) and drive rental car (2rs + drive). Look at doing the loop from Kalispell to Fernie to Glacier Park to Kalispell )

2 other areas of BC you should consider:

1) Quesnel Lake- Horsefly area (near Willams Lake) http://bcadventure.com/adventure/exp...s/horsefly.htm
    1 hr flight north of Vancouver to Williams Lake and 45mins drive. There are several very nice lodges with a lot to do in the area/ Fishing is both lake and river fishing. Mitchell River may be best Bull Trout river in BC.
    Check on festivals in Horsefly and the area. Lots of rural areas have fall festivals (music, rodeos, fairs).

2) My favorite- Bella Coola- Tweedsmuir Park area on the coast ( https://bellacoola.ca ) 1 hr flight from Vancouver ( or 2 day drive) with only 1800 people in the valley, so less known than other areas. Several high end lodges that cater to fishing and non-fishing guests with spectacular hiking, heli-tours, float trips to view grizzlies, salt water tours. Fishing is among best in BC with several types of salmon + cutthroat and steelhead that are immediately out of the salt so are very hot plus hike or fly in lake fishing...Dean River is short helicopter flight and empties into the same saltwater channel. Salt water fishing trips for halibut, ling/rockfish, salmon plus prawns and crabs...with stop for natural hot springs. There is a local place that rents vehicles at reasonable price. Lodges book up quickly. Bear spray is not optional when hiking or fishing.

Jim
    Last edited by JayDubP; 01-08-2018 at 05:37 PM.

Thank you for the info so far! Fortress looks awesome, not sure we can swing that on this trip but it's a great destination for a future year! Same for Horsefly and Bella Coola, wow!

My gf was a real trooper on our NZ trip and toughed out camping in a campervan for 9 straight nights so I want to be sure I reward her with a little luxury on this next fishing trip. It's looking like Island Lake Lodge might be the winner in her eyes for a 4 night stay and then we will either do 3 nights in Banff area if we fly into/out of Calgary, or 3 nights in Kalispell/Glacier area if we fly there. I need to call fly shops and see if we can get on bull trout water for our desired travel dates...was not aware of those severe non-resident regulations.

Not sure how much value this will be but I have been to Cranbrook to fish for cuts once and I have been to Island Lake multiple times to ski.

In Cranbrook we stayed at Ultimate West on the St Mary - kind of a B&B. Very small and not luxurious. We were not targeting bulls but just throwing dries from a raft to eager cutthroat - 1 day on Upper St Mary, 1 day on the lower, and one day on the Upper Bull. Saw ~1 other angler each day with 7-8hrs on the river, 40 fish a day? Lost count... Probably 3 days of the best trout fishing I've ever had. The Upper Bull was by far the most beautiful drift I have ever done - ridiculous.

Island Lake is amazing - 5 star, full service, beautiful and would definitely keep the GF happy. The food, service, and experience is top notch. I've only been there to ski in the winter. Just not sure how practical it is to make the hike 10mi in/out every day just to get to the road. Probably a lot faster in a van/4x4 than in a snowcat. But I dig the Fernie area - definitely a little more to do/see there, and it's a little more of a resort/destination town, some restaurants, etc...than something like Cranbrook.

Each time I've been up there I've flown in/out Kalispell, rented a car and driven the ~2hrs up to Fernie/Cranbrook - both winter and summer. Seems to be the most cost effective and Kalispell is pretty mellow/easy to get in/out of.
    Last edited by sierraangler; 01-10-2018 at 04:50 PM.