Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We have thousands of fly fishers who have gone two-handed.

Default We have thousands of fly fishers who have gone two-handed.

Sacramento is a hot bed for Spey / two-handed fly fishing.

Mostly because of the wonderful Lower American River.

Secondly because Jeff Putnam brought top people like Simon Gawesworth and Dec Hogan here.

The only downside to all this two handed fishing is our indicator sales have fallen off some.

Most are swinging flies for Steelhead.

Some are swinging flies for trout in larger streams with light two-handed rods.

Now they are thinking of taking their two-handers to Alaska.

A small number are going to Argentina for large Sea Run Brown trout.

We see a big interest in Atlantic Salmon now too.

Some are overhead casting on the Atlantic surf.

Others are overhead casting on lakes for big trout.

Where are you thinking of going with your two-handed fly rods?

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Because I'm still learning....Watt Ave.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post

The only downside to all this two handed fishing is our indicator sales have fallen off some.

I use a bobber w/ my two handed switch rods at Pyramid. Roll casting on certain beaches is a lot easier than overhand and sometimes those longer casts are needed to reach the fish. If I have to roll cast all day I'd much rather have a 2 handed rod.

I also use a bobber and a switch rod for the egg bite at times...but have now mostly moved to 10' single handers for that application as I find it better for mending.

I've seen a few switch rods and bobbers around the Truckee when the water is high. They seem to have a bit of an advantage for heavy spring time indo rigs relative to single hand sticks.

My 2 handers though get by far the most usage for swinging on the Trinity, LAR, and Lower Yuba. This summer, I am planning to take them up to Canada to swing up some bull trout...time and $$ permitting.

Nothing but Spey for me on the American until striper time. Still looking for that 1st adult steelhead. My card full of "0" in 2017...hard going but I'm going to get one on the swing this year!
    Last edited by Trouter925; 01-05-2018 at 04:28 PM.

I was swinging soft hackles and streamers with a 5 wt switch rod on the Lower Yuba all summer. I even caught a nice fish on the swing during the eclipse. I mostly used the switch rod so that I'd improve my two handed casting. Less fish, more casting, for sure.

Next year, to learn something new, I plan to fish on river right as much as possible with my hands reversed - no more double spey casts!? We'll see how that goes...

--Joe

I just had my third spey-casting lesson with Jeff Putnam today on the AR and am grateful for his expertise, generosity, and patience. I have been fly fishing for about 40 years and am loving the new challenge of learning two-handed techniques, and I appreciate the positive community vibe that has flourished in the Sacramento area because of all the good folks promoting the sport through your shop, on this board, and on the water in these parts.

I am not getting rid of my single-handers just yet, but I use two-handed rods for overhead casting off beaches, jetties, and lakes. Most of my fishing is done by swinging flies and stripping streamers, and I am loving the two-handers for that.

Quote Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
    HA!

I use a bobber w/ my two handed switch rods at Pyramid. Roll casting on certain beaches is a lot easier than overhand and sometimes those longer casts are needed to reach the fish. If I have to roll cast all day I'd much rather have a 2 handed rod.
    Not to hijack Bills intent of this post............

PV, would you mind sharing what line/set up you use for your "roll casting @ Pyramid".

I've been trying different lines/heads for this EXACT reason and just today received a S/A Scandi Extreme 560 grain head @ 38' to try on my 7wt. switch. Running line is P-line 50lb. Hydrofloat.

I "overline a bit" when trying to toss a 3/4" corkie with a tungsten bead,bug collared, balanced minnow/leech along with a tungsten bead nymph to depths between 8 and 15 feet.
    It seems around 40 feet is my "max" head length for deploying all that junk to get any decent distance.

In round numbers 11 1/2'rod + 40' head + 15' leader with junk = ~65 feet.
    I'm looking for that additional 30'-40' shoot at the end to get me close to 100'.

Many thanks,

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by cjkohen View Post
    Because I'm still learning....Watt Ave.
    Watt Avenue area is my favorite place to fish on the Lower American River.

The Klamath River, on average, is one of the most productive rivers for small / medium size Steelhead.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by BS View Post
    Not to hijack Bills intent of this post............

PV, would you mind sharing what line/set up you use for your "roll casting @ Pyramid".

I've been trying different lines/heads for this EXACT reason and just today received a S/A Scandi Extreme 560 grain head @ 38' to try on my 7wt. switch. Running line is P-line 50lb. Hydrofloat.

I "overline a bit" when trying to toss a 3/4" corkie with a tungsten bead,bug collared, balanced minnow/leech along with a tungsten bead nymph to depths between 8 and 15 feet.
    It seems around 40 feet is my "max" head length for deploying all that junk to get any decent distance.

In round numbers 11 1/2'rod + 40' head + 15' leader with junk = ~65 feet.
    I'm looking for that additional 30'-40' shoot at the end to get me close to 100'.

Many thanks,

Bob
    I'm typically throwing a lighter rig than it sounds like you're using. I use an integrated Rio 6 or 7wt switch line (depending on wind) on a 5wt Redington Dually. You may want to try a shorter skagit head to move all that junk and get out to your shooting line sooner. OPST has an interesting video about throwing big nymph rigs with a commando head. I haven't tried it yet but I will probably give it a go at pyramid eventually. I think Rio single hand Spey might also be an interesting line for this application.

Quote Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
    I'm typically throwing a lighter rig than it sounds like you're using. I use an integrated Rio 6 or 7wt switch line (depending on wind) on a 5wt Redington Dually. You may want to try a shorter skagit head to move all that junk and get out to your shooting line sooner. OPST has an interesting video about throwing big nymph rigs with a commando head. I haven't tried it yet but I will probably give it a go at pyramid eventually. I think Rio single hand Spey might also be an interesting line for this application.
    Thanks for your reply PV.

I guess I shoulda' included that my rod(s) are Cabela's 1167 7wt. and a Reddington Dually 7113 7wt.

Skagit head........Yep, been there and done that. They do move the "junk" and shoot a bit of line but it feels a bit clunky/awkward.......hence a longer head.
    I'm taking off my 525 grain skagit head after I post this and going to give the SA Scandi Extreme 560 grain head a whirl and see what happens.

Re: integrated lines: I don't mind fishing floating shooting heads at Pyramid.
    The P-line Hydrofloat seems to shoot a bit better than the running lines on integrated lines.
    For me, it's a chuck, no mending, then wait for the indicator to disappear !!!!!!
    I know,.............. that's not everyones "cup of tea".

Practically everything I've read on the 'net having to do with skagit, scandi, or scandoid is based on moving water.

My quest is for a floating rig with maximum distance/least effort at Pyramid.

Thanks again,

Bob