Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Drifter Info

Default Power Drifter Info

I have been looking at getting a power drifter for some time now, and this year will finally be the year that I do. Im interested in a few out there, I have rowed a few of them and still need to row a few more, but I want to see if anyone on here has had any on the water experiences with them, and what your personal opinion of those boats you played in.
    Also if you have one, I would love to check it out sometime soon.

Here are the ones Im looking at

Rogue Stealth 20x60 with 24" sides
    Motor 90/65 Etec
    havent rowed this one yet
    They no longer make the Rogue stealth marine

Koffler Jet Drifter 16x60 with 24" sides
    Motor 90/65 Etec
    rowed and was pleasantly surprised. Its no drift boat, but not bad

Super Drifters 17x54 powerdrifterboats.com
    Motor ?????
    have not rowed yet
    These are the guys that used to build the boats for fish rite

These are the ones I am interested in, however I have played in clacks pd, was super impressed, motored great, runs extremely shallow, rows well too, but having a hard time getting around the fact that its a glass power drifter. I havent looked at Hydes, and dont even want to hear the word Stealthcraft.

Any of your personal info would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you for your time
    And Always Remember
    Keep Those Line Tights
    Brian W Clemens
    Nor Cal Fly Guides
    530-354-3740
    norcalflyguides@gmail.com
    www.norcalflyguides.com

"I have many loves and Fly-Fishing is one of them; it brings peace and harmony to my being, which I can then pass on to others."
    ~ Sue Kreutzer

No Clacka as an option?

I would guess that Gary Anderson of ACR (Anderson Custom Rods) up near Medford, Oregon is the leading expert on "Power Drifters".

I think he has had a half dozen of them made up for him.

http://andersoncustomrods.com/

Personally I think they are a good compromise between a drift boat and a jet boat.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Spicytuna

The clack is at the top of the list. Rowed extremely well, motored pretty good, about 20-22mph with 3 guys, 22/24 with 2 guys and 26/27mph solo. Layout is great especially the new model. My only issue is it being glass and I'll be running some skinny water when the Yuba and Feather are on the low side.

Also still trying to way my options.

Thanks for the info Bill, I'll have to chat with him at the ISE show. I know he is running the Superdrifters model which is the guys that used to build the fish rite pds.
    And Always Remember
    Keep Those Line Tights
    Brian W Clemens
    Nor Cal Fly Guides
    530-354-3740
    www.norcalflyguides.com

"I have many loves and Fly-Fishing is one of them; it brings peace and harmony to my being, which I can then pass on to others."
    ~ Sue Kreutzer

After I posted that I looked at the other models and that makes sense.

However, "Fear No Rock" is their motto.

I had a 16ft clack get rear ended through a Lincoln Navigator in 04' and I still fish that boat today, they are tough as nails.

So I am kinda partial to them.

I had a 2004 clack ffb model and she handled very well, now I run a 2014 clack eddy and very partial to clacks as well.

However running the Low Feather at 800cfs or running up the lower Yuba at lower flows will put that glass to the ultimate test. Floor on clacks pd is only an inch think.
    And Always Remember
    Keep Those Line Tights
    Brian W Clemens
    Nor Cal Fly Guides
    530-354-3740
    www.norcalflyguides.com

~ Sue Kreutzer

If you go with Koffler, you will not be disappointed with the 'fit and finish'. Koffler spends a lot of time with R&D and is rather meticulous when trying to design and match the hull with the available jet outboards, considering power to weight, etc. The good thing is that you'll be delivered the boat that your ordered to be built........

Thanks ocean

I actually rowed a 16x60 koffler with a 90/65 merc recently on the Lower Sac and was pleasantly surprised. The work was top notch and I can see a bunch of time went into it. This boat wasn't exactly how I would set mine up but it gave me a really good idea when I put together a build sheet.

Both Joe from Koffler and Bruce from Rogue Jets will be at the ISE show this year and look forward to chatting with them.

As far as paying for a brand new boat and not getting what you paid for even though it's on the build sheet, I have felt with, and of course got the complete run around when I questioned this boat company. All I can say to everyone is pick your new boat over with a fine youth comb before you take possession. Also try to buy local, don't want to buy a boat built on the east coast and you end up having an issue with it.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I'll also be calling Gary Anderson to chat with him about his Super Drifter. I know he doesn't row his at all but he has had a few of them and lots of on the water experience with then.
    And Always Remember
    Keep Those Line Tights
    Brian W Clemens
    Nor Cal Fly Guides
    530-354-3740
    www.norcalflyguides.com

~ Sue Kreutzer

Spicytuna

That was one of the boats I was interested in, actually 1 of the top 2, but with more searching and talking with others in the industry, they all say this.
    Hands down best rowing power drifter on the market due to the slight rocker on the boat from bow to stern, yup rocker from bow to stern. Its not very noticeable in the pics online but there is one there. One problem with a 20ft boat having a slight rocker from front to rear, under power its going to ride bow high just like a drift boat.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRBjnVdoIZM
    In the vid the motor is only a 50/35 tohatsu and pushes that boat extremely well. However even with a person up on the front, the bow is pretty high under power. Been told for it to ride nose down you have to have 2 guys up there. Well if Im solo that bow is going to ride even higher. The boat hulls ars, and you can see rows really well, but only way to run it bow down is to have 2 guys up on the bow. Not the most practical as I fish 1 client a ton, and I like to get out and fish solo once in a while.

So after all said and done, going with my original choice with Super Drifters. Same boat that Gary Anderson has had, actually he has had there of them. More than likely I will be putting on a 60/40 etec. As much as I would love to do 40+mph on the water with a 90/65 Etec, but the rowability of that boat will be severally compromised. So gonna go with the smaller motor, be 24-26mph with 2 anglers, 30mph by myself and still be able to row the crap out of that since it will be 100lbs lighter in the stern.
    And Always Remember
    Keep Those Line Tights
    Brian W Clemens
    Nor Cal Fly Guides
    530-354-3740
    www.norcalflyguides.com

~ Sue Kreutzer