Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Steelhead opener!

Quote Originally Posted by Rossflyguy View Post
    Sea lions have nothing to do with fish population. Take the dams out and stop commercial fisheries from netting whole schools of fish and I’m sure you wouldn’t see any sea lions this far up rivers. And if you’re concerned about harassing steelhead or salmon than you should probably stop fishing all together. Blaming sea lions for fish numbers is crazy.

WRONG. This is a blanket statement. The pinniped populations are at an all time high.

Quote Originally Posted by avidangler View Post
    WRONG. This is a blanket statement. The pinniped populations are at an all time high.
    A lot is thanks to killing of big numbers of great whites once major predator that keeps them in check.

I landed two (seemed like eel strain fish) and three HP’s in the two days I was out.
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

Anybody get out to some other tailwaters like Mokelumne? They had a great salmon run this year. If I go in the next week I will report back. Hope to see some big chrome grip and grin pics soon.

I was out at the Moke on the 1st. Kind of shoulder to shoulder. More cars in the parking lot than I'd seen in a while. The Delta Fly Fishers had a tent set up. I saw a few smolt-sized fish caught. I only fished a little as I was swinging a single hander and not much room for that. A couple nibbles, but no fish for me. Most everybody I saw fly fishing was indicator fishing. Everyone was camped out. Nobody moving though runs / holes. Water was clear and low. If you could arrange a float to Stillman, you could probably find a bit of peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob prinzo View Post
    Umm, where did i say anything about fish populations ? What i said,and ill say it slow this time, the. Sealions. Turned. Off. The. Bite! I know perfectly well whats causing the demise of our fisheries, and it aint commercial fishing. Lack of flow,diversions,water mismanagment, hatchery mismanagment,cutting smolt releases,just to name a few that are well ahead of commercial fishing

Ummmmm you should probably reread your statement. You didn’t say anything about the bite turning off. Your exact words were “something needs to be done about the sea lions, our fisheriey is recasted enough”. Maybe you should type slower so you can read what you say.

Quote Originally Posted by avidangler View Post
    What’s wrong? Human intervention messed up fish population. You’re seeiously gonna blame sea lions? �� Tgats a cop out for covering up the true problem.

Quote Originally Posted by tcorfey View Post
    Rossflyguy, I would respectfully submit that you need to do some reading on the subject of sea lion predation before calling someone crazy.

Here are some recent reports on how Washington, Oregon are dealing with sea lions and why, in conjunction with NOAA, Army Corp of Engineers and others.

https://wdfw.wa.gov/conservation/sealions/

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/fish/sealion/

https://www.nwcouncil.org/news/blog/...december-2017/

Regards,

Tim C.
    I’ve read this stuff. You really think DFW is going to blame themselves or fishing practices that would lead to an outcry from fisherman or commercial fisheries? Let’s be real. Commercial fishing has become way too effective in catching thousands of pounds of salmon/steelhead. Those nets don’t discriminate on where fish come from what watershed. They’re scooping up fish that come from sensitive watersheds. On top of the millions of anglers catching these fish in rivers, to the dams that block spawning habitats. You’re really gonna sit there and post data to blame sea lions? It’s funny you all are so quick to blame an animal that evolved alongside salmon/steelhead but you wouldn’t blame striper who’ve been in these waters for maybe 120 yrs? Sounds like you all just wanna keep the rod bent on anything that’s photo worthy and blame something that would effect you from catching these “trophy” fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Rossflyguy View Post
    Sounds like you all just wanna keep the rod bent on anything that’s photo worthy and blame something that would effect you from catching these “trophy” fish.
    Hey, I'm down to bust out the 14wt and bend that sucker on a 300lb Sealion.

Make sure it's fair hooked or you have to release it!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepdog8404 View Post
    Hey, I'm down to bust out the 14wt and bend that sucker on a 300lb Sealion.

Quote Originally Posted by Trouter925 View Post
    I was out at the Moke on the 1st. Kind of shoulder to shoulder. More cars in the parking lot than I'd seen in a while. The Delta Fly Fishers had a tent set up. I saw a few smolt-sized fish caught. I only fished a little as I was swinging a single hander and not much room for that. A couple nibbles, but no fish for me. Most everybody I saw fly fishing was indicator fishing. Everyone was camped out. Nobody moving though runs / holes. Water was clear and low. If you could arrange a float to Stillman, you could probably find a bit of peace.

Thanks for the report. I would lie and say its a go to for me but its only 1 hour drive for me and when I can't make it up the mtn I sometimes will go. Flows around 350? Not surprised it was busy because there isn't a lot of open water on lower moke unless you float it.

Maybe I will hit up the AR. might be a little better option.