Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Steelhead opener!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    Any fish.....rolling, hooked, seen, landed?
    Well we showed up at sailors at 6:15 to a line of boats 8 deep and counting, turned around and put in at sunrise which was empty. Two of us fished with one of the local guides who was in contact with a couple at sailors all day.fished hard all morn for zip, just like everyone else. Got to geothe and took the back way around and bam, 20" hen. Not another bite and took out at grist millat 3:30. Mabey im wrong but i think i got the only fish on monday. I believe the sealions had everything to do with it. 2 of them were already at grist mill when we got there. Its time something is done about the sea lions,our fishery is devistated enough without the few there are being harrased by these things that are now all the way to the hatchery

Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

Glad I went up to the Trinity on Sunday/Monday instead...

Yup a sea lion, saw it swimming around bright and early at the chute, but moved up river quickly.

I was out on monday as well and faired pretty good. Best opener I have had in a few seasons. I didn't take my boat and only fished for a few hours as I was leaving to go up and guide the Trinity the next day.

I didn't move around to much, ended up sticking 10 fish landing 5, most where the 20 to 22" Coleman strain fish, super fat chunky hot footballs, a combination of wild and hatchery fish. I did end up hooking one big fish about 8-10lbs but broke it off cuz a guide boat went through the chute and stuck a fish and of course my fish took off and the boat floated over my line, so instead of getting tangled and loosing both fish, I busted mine off.

All in all a great way to start the year off. Hope to see it continue with rain in the near future.

Hey pv good choice on the T, it's fishing good.
    And Always Remember
    Keep Those Line Tights
    Brian W Clemens
    Nor Cal Fly Guides
    530-354-3740
    norcalflyguides@gmail.com
    www.norcalflyguides.com

"I have many loves and Fly-Fishing is one of them; it brings peace and harmony to my being, which I can then pass on to others."
    ~ Sue Kreutzer

Swung a black and blue OCD below the Arden ponds for about 3 hours this morning. Didn’t see anything. Only my second year chasing and swinging so take it with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob prinzo View Post
    Well we showed up at sailors at 6:15 to a line of boats 8 deep and counting, turned around and put in at sunrise which was empty. Two of us fished with one of the local guides who was in contact with a couple at sailors all day.fished hard all morn for zip, just like everyone else. Got to geothe and took the back way around and bam, 20" hen. Not another bite and took out at grist millat 3:30. Mabey im wrong but i think i got the only fish on monday. I believe the sealions had everything to do with it. 2 of them were already at grist mill when we got there. Its time something is done about the sea lions,our fishery is devistated enough without the few there are being harrased by these things that are now all the way to the hatchery

Sea lions have nothing to do with fish population. Take the dams out and stop commercial fisheries from netting whole schools of fish and I’m sure you wouldn’t see any sea lions this far up rivers. And if you’re concerned about harassing steelhead or salmon than you should probably stop fishing all together. Blaming sea lions for fish numbers is crazy.

Umm, where did i say anything about fish populations ? What i said,and ill say it slow this time, the. Sealions. Turned. Off. The. Bite! I know perfectly well whats causing the demise of our fisheries, and it aint commercial fishing. Lack of flow,diversions,water mismanagment, hatchery mismanagment,cutting smolt releases,just to name a few that are well ahead of commercial fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Rossflyguy View Post
    Sea lions have nothing to do with fish population. Take the dams out and stop commercial fisheries from netting whole schools of fish and I’m sure you wouldn’t see any sea lions this far up rivers. And if you’re concerned about harassing steelhead or salmon than you should probably stop fishing all together. Blaming sea lions for fish numbers is crazy.
    Rossflyguy, I would respectfully submit that you need to do some reading on the subject of sea lion predation before calling someone crazy.

Here are some recent reports on how Washington, Oregon are dealing with sea lions and why, in conjunction with NOAA, Army Corp of Engineers and others.

https://wdfw.wa.gov/conservation/sealions/

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/fish/sealion/

https://www.nwcouncil.org/news/blog/...december-2017/

Regards,

Tim C.

Top local guide Toby Uppinghouse did pretty well for his clients on the LAR.

https://www.facebook.com/toby.uppinghouse

**Treat yourself and go with a top local guide.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

When human actions/intervention cause unnatural conditions favorable to expanding the range of a voracious predator such that sensitive, threatened and/or endangered species numbers are sufficiently reduced as a result... then YES, it is a problem.

Ultimately, it is not the sea lion's fault for s/he is merely doing what survival instincts dictate.

However, relocation and/or euthanization, if found to be in the best interest of the salmonids and the ecosystem at large, is entirely ethical and humane.

"Oh what a tangled web we weave HEY JUAN?"