Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Steelhead opener!

Many dams are coming down now......many small and some large.

.........and stream channels are being rehabilitated too.

In my lifetime this is huge.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by cdevine View Post
    Thanks for the report. I would lie and say its a go to for me but its only 1 hour drive for me and when I can't make it up the mtn I sometimes will go. Flows around 350? Not surprised it was busy because there isn't a lot of open water on lower moke unless you float it.

Maybe I will hit up the AR. might be a little better option.
    I fished on AR on 31st. I would have preferred that on the 1st. I feel you can at least spread out a bit and find a little bit of your own water. I mean, if I'm not going to catch fish anyway, at least I can enjoying the casting... The Moke could be a sweet little river, but there are just so many people fishing now days and it's so close. I would think a weekday could be a little better, but probably not much better...

I'm tired of driving anyway. With no rain on the north coast, the AR is it for me in January.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepdog8404 View Post
    Hey, I'm down to bust out the 14wt and bend that sucker on a 300lb Sealion.
    That would be something to see lol. Except those bull sea lions are probably 500-600 lbs

...by February many ave given up and this can be the best month for Winter Run Steelhead on the Lower American River.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Counted approximately 34 steelhead in the holding raceway at the hatchery today. Hopefully they're just running a little late. The lower river (Riverbend Park downstream to Paradise Beach) might be good choice until more fish show up. Flows are down to 2000 cfs which means longer leaders and smaller flies (1-2 inches). Try an intermediate tip when fishing during low light conditions.
    Good Luck-JP
    Jeff Putnam
    JP Flyfishing Schools
    http://jpflyfishing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rossflyguy View Post
    I’ve read this stuff. You really think DFW is going to blame themselves or fishing practices that would lead to an outcry from fisherman or commercial fisheries? Let’s be real. Commercial fishing has become way too effective in catching thousands of pounds of salmon/steelhead. Those nets don’t discriminate on where fish come from what watershed. They’re scooping up fish that come from sensitive watersheds. On top of the millions of anglers catching these fish in rivers, to the dams that block spawning habitats. You’re really gonna sit there and post data to blame sea lions? It’s funny you all are so quick to blame an animal that evolved alongside salmon/steelhead but you wouldn’t blame striper who’ve been in these waters for maybe 120 yrs? Sounds like you all just wanna keep the rod bent on anything that’s photo worthy and blame something that would effect you from catching these “trophy” fish.
    Commercial fisherman in California troll for salmon. 6 lines per boat, single, barbless hooks (circle hooks if using bait). No nets. They can't take steelhead. Whether or not the rules are followed is probably a subject for debate but when I've been out on the ocean thats what they appear to be doing.

I think ca salmon (and all salmon) range far off the coast in international waters, even as far as the western pacific. There they can be swept up. From what I read that's the toughy with managing stocks for a certain river as the fish cruise the oceans well away from their natal rivers. So if a trawler off of some far away place grabs a school that is full of say butte creek sprinters it jacks up the return numbers. Supposedly they seasonally run the salmon highway in close to shore where they are out of net range. What I don't know is to what extent salmon cruise the ocean in schools of their own river? Are they always with their crew or do they disperse into un related schools? Where's that guy who is the U.K. Davis salmonid biologist- Sean I think his name is?

Quote Originally Posted by John Sv View Post
    I think ca salmon (and all salmon) range far off the coast in international waters, even as far as the western pacific. There they can be swept up. From what I read that's the toughy with managing stocks for a certain river as the fish cruise the oceans well away from their natal rivers. So if a trawler off of some far away place grabs a school that is full of say butte creek sprinters it jacks up the return numbers. Supposedly they seasonally run the salmon highway in close to shore where they are out of net range. What I don't know is to what extent salmon cruise the ocean in schools of their own river? Are they always with their crew or do they disperse into un related schools? Where's that guy who is the U.K. Davis salmonid biologist- Sean I think his name is?
    I’d assume they all school up for safety but that’s an interesting question. As far as CA salmon, they migrate up north to feed. Commercial guys up in Oregon and WA say most of their catch is Feather river hatchery salmon. I think I read the same article about salmon being caught commercially who come from fragile river systems. I believe they were trying to push for commercial fisheries to fish river systems rather than ocean. So low number river runs come back up. That was their pitch.

Do your self a favorite and get out on the river this winter with fly fishing instructors Jeff Putnam, Andy Guibord or Doug Duncan.

They can teach you how to "read the water" so you will have a better idea where to fish.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Hey Bill,
    We did okay on the opener. Landed a few hot fish. Beautiful sunny day!
    "The solution to any problem -work, love, money, whatever -is to go fly fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be." -John Gierach