Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Truckee 12-28

Hey, if you are catching fish on the Truckee don't knock yourself too hard with these cold water temps and clear water. Its not easy. We need some color to the water and some cloudy conditions for the streamer game to be effective. At least that has been my experience. Last big rainbow I landed on a streamer was after a pretty big rain even back in November period I want to say and the water had steelhead green tint. Fish get aggressive and move out of lanes. Plus the water temps were probably 5-7 degrees warmer. I would stick small stuff until a weather pattern comes in. (maybe later this week) 18-20 BWO, midges, winter stones right now. The fall is a really good time for streamers on the truckee as a general comment.

Chris---I’m responding to selected comments from your 12/31/17 post.

“I didn't realize that area was open a 1x or another to bait fishing.”

Prior to opening of the BT to winter angling (March '0; it was open only during the “general” season (Last Saturday of April to November 15) Below I’ve annotated the regs before winter angling was allowed:

a)Tahoe City to Trout Creek; no gear restriction, 5-take, any size
    b)Trout Creek to Glenshire Bridge; artificials only, two-take, minimum of 15”
    c) Glenshire Bridge to the Union Mills bridge; fly fishing only, two take, minimum 15”
    (initially the regs were b above and were changed mid-80’s)
    d) Union Mills bridge to Boca inflow; artificials only, two take, minimum 15”
    e) Boca inflow to Grey’s Creek, no gear restriction, two -take, no size requirement.

Such were the regs then. Below Grey’s to the CA/NV, there was no gear restriction, five take any size.
    Relative to the implementation of special regs which started in the early ‘80’s there have been, I believe, four changes, the latest being in 2008.

Early on, Tahoe-Truckee Fly Fishers (www.ttff.net) posted the first regulation signs; they were laminated white paper with black- print, stapled to plywood with a chicken-wire overlay. Ralph & Lisa bought & posted their own signs; theirs were yellow-colored, hard plastic.Then, with the new rules in ’08, the TTFF made the new signs/posted them; there was a $400 stipend from TU, remaining $1000 by TTFF…TTFF volunteers. TTFF is in the process of making and posting of new signs …volunteer posters are welcome…contact me at 530-587-7333 (Please NO TEXTING!) or cyberfly@cyberfly.com

“…as a kid I learned to fish the 89 section around Squaw Valley which has some great water as you know.”

I’m sure you’re familiar…My favorite beats were from Bridge 4 to Bridge 3 (Squaw Creek inflow) and below Goose Meadows. Seldom go there now; the decent wild trout are harvested by late June.

“(Pleasanton?)”

For sure, I/we are a fixture there… As always we’ll be presenting in the Destination Theater with updated talks, mine this year will be entitled “Truckee Region: Insights from 35 years Guiding in Area”
    For details go to http://flyfishingshow.com/pleasanton-ca/, “Exhibitor & Map” and click-on Truckee Guide NetWork

Frank R. Pisciotta
    Last edited by Frank R. Pisciotta; 01-02-2018 at 03:19 PM.