Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Truckee 12-28

Default Truckee 12-28

Just some observations from a day on the river yesterday.

First, the water is gin clear and the flows are perfect at 400 CFS in Canyon. Thinner up top. I fished both NV/CA side but was hugging the border most the day. For me it was a tough day. The fact that the river has been largely unchanged due to high pressure weather the last few weeks I think played into it a little. There are so many different sections so when people say the river is fishing good or bad just remember they might be 20 miles or more from where you are. Stealth is a must and presentations subtle. You can fish a dry dropper in the slower pockets. Small midges and baetis patterns. Size 18-20. Fish weren't podded up for me.

I did get a nice rainbow to the net toward the end of the day with an aggressive looking kipe/teeth. Weather pattern looks to change toward end of next week which I think will help the fishing. Change is good and pray for precipitation.

Happy New years and don't forget to get your license.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1893.jpg 
Views:	333 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	13766

Name:	IMG_1891.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	13767

Chris----I haven't been on the water lately; re-habing a new, bionic hip.

Water temps?...Best-times?...Sub-surface with small/big tandem best?

...Appreciate the intel in advance.

Frank R Pisciotta

Quote Originally Posted by cdevine View Post
    Just some observations from a day on the river yesterday.

First, the water is gin clear and the flows are perfect at 400 CFS in Canyon. Thinner up top. I fished both NV/CA side but was hugging the border most the day. For me it was a tough day. The fact that the river has been largely unchanged due to high pressure weather the last few weeks I think played into it a little. There are so many different sections so when people say the river is fishing good or bad just remember they might be 20 miles or more from where you are. Stealth is a must and presentations subtle. You can fish a dry dropper in the slower pockets. Small midges and baetis patterns. Size 18-20. Fish weren't podded up for me.

I did get a nice rainbow to the net toward the end of the day with an aggressive looking kipe/teeth. Weather pattern looks to change toward end of next week which I think will help the fishing. Change is good and pray for precipitation.

Happy New years and don't forget to get your license.

Name:	IMG_1893.jpg 
Views:	333 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	13766

Name:	IMG_1891.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	13767
    Happy New Years to all. Thanks for the reminder picked mine up a couple of days ago. Gone up again (price) but still a great value for all of the enjoyment fishing.

Frank,

Hope your rehab goes well. My uncle had his done about 2 months ago and so far so good. Moms had both knees as well so I know my time will eventually be up...

As for the fishing, you know that place better than I ever will. Wouldn't go before 10am. Seems like 11-3pm window is solid. But I wouldn't say the fish are totally podded up in deep pools yet. Maybe a week or 2 away from that?? No anchor ice whatsoever east. Actually not much ice period even in the puddles along the river. It was damn near hot at 1pm yesterday. (60 degrees). Easier wading and crossing at these flows. Pick your spots because a bath will get you back to the car quickly. Some small midges coming off around noon. I brought a dry rod as well and threw some griffith gnats but no takers. Thought I saw some noses in the bubbles. Water temps 43 degrees at warmest part of day.

I actually will most likely explore east of sparks in the next few weeks. Water temps usually are about 5 degrees better in the winter. Can make a big difference. Just hope there are fish out there.

Oh lastly, pressure seemed light. I didn't see another angler but I didn't go by Hirshdale or Glenshire either where a lot of folks end up. Not like skiing is a better option!
    Last edited by cdevine; 12-29-2017 at 03:21 PM.

Chris---I appreciate the feed-back on winter-angling, in what I've penned as the "Grand Canyon of the Truckee". Also, thanks for your empathy on my recovery...thus far, I'm pleased.

The reality is that over my many years fishing the river, a very small percentage of my time has been deep in the canyon near the CA/NV border. Most especially since the turn of the century as I've aged. Also consider the fact that that canyon water did not open to winter angling until, I believe, March 2008. Prior to that time; bait was allowed, and there was a lot of thrash from illegal campers in the area. So there are a lot of people that know more about fishing the canyon in the winter than yours truly...I leave the canyon waters to the young buck & buckettes.

Generally, I've plied the waters upstream of Floriston....such water I know. Another reason may be my USFS Tahoe National Forest Special Use Permit authorizes me legally guide down to about Floriston; even though there is little TNF lands from Trout Creek down to Bronco Creek. Toybee (sp?) National Forest starts somewhere above or below Bronco Creek. I'm unaware of who has USFS permits to commercially operate on the Truckee in the forest.

I was planning on testing the hip wading the water on about a week ago with Jon Baiocchi;we got a dusting of snow PLUS 25-30 mph...freezing wind-chill...I/he don't like.

Pray for snow everyone!...I just checked the charts and at the nine (9) measuring stations in the Truckee River area we're at 59% of median-average snow-water content. Total precipitation is at 81% of average. So I calculate current projected melt/run-off at 47% (.81 X .59=47%). Does that seem correct to you left-brainers?

Frank R. Pisciotta
    Last edited by Frank R. Pisciotta; 12-31-2017 at 11:07 AM.

Frank,

Your knowledge of the Truckee Watershed amazes me. I didn't realize that area was open a 1x or another to bait fishing. And unfortunately you are correct in regards to certain areas showing signs of "painted" rocks and illegal camping.

About 10 years ago I decided to try and utilize my legs and somewhat youth to really try and explore areas that others might opt to pass on. Partly because I enjoy hiking and exercise. I figure if the fishing isn't good at least I put some miles on my legs! So whether its the Truckee, East/West Carson, NF American River, Upper Sacramento, EW, or high elevation lakes I try and hit some harder to reach areas. There will be a time when those days aren't an option. But I still love the water off Glenshire and even as a kid I learned to fish the 89 section around Squaw Valley which has some great water as you know.

We def need some precipitation/rain. Looks like some weaker systems moving in next week. I'm praying.
    Happy New Year! Hope to see you at a show. (Pleasanton?)

Super fun last day of the year on the Truckee yesterday with the wife. Got a handful to the net, missed a couple others.

Worked upstream of the Glenshire bridge a ways and got most action in the slow, froggy water and one surprise take on the swing. Went down past Floriston mid-afternoon and didn't touch a thing from about 2pm - dark. Flows are super nice down low, we were nymphing and probably should have been swinging streamers down there, but still plenty of active fish up through town. Have a great New Years everyone!

Really nice bows. You are doing something right especially when stealth is a must up top. The canyon for me in the winter usually is a bet on a big fish. Some of those the "house" wins. Thanks for update. This weather change later in week will help get things going again with some color to the water. (At least that is what I'm telling myself)

Definitely. We spooked a number of fish hugging the banks in really skinny water that we didn't even see until it was too late. Being super aware of shadows, moving slow into the water, all of that. Makes it challenging for sure haha

I need to figure out streamers on the Truckee. I explored a new area for me (parked at Floriston and hiked east) and pulled 5 small trout out of a single hole with copper johns, a golden stone and a prince nymph. I couldn't find anything decent other than that. I then went and explored east of Glenshire and ended up waaaayyy down this dirt road in what looked like some really good water (shallow on the side I was on but looked deep up against the other bank) so I'm thinking about trying that area next. Is this a good time for crayfish imitations or just stick with some wollybuggers?