Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fly fishing for Searun Cutthroat trout in the Pacific Northwest.

Stone Lagoon held the state record for Cutt's, do not know if it still does or not, caught by Dan Dobble of Eureka. North Coast Fly Fishers took Stone on as a project many years ago, did a lot of restoration on McDonnel Creek and petitioned the state to change the regulations and make it a trophy fishery.

I fish it mostly in the winter and have a good chance of not only cut's but steelhead.
    Fishing is always good, the catching may not be.

I fished for them on Oregon coast streams in the 60’s-70’s, almost every stream had them at times from June through winter months. We tried for them a few times in lower estuaries but without a boat it was difficult at best. I found them in rivers as far as 30 miles from the salt, in various places from frog water with structure to typical trout runs and riffles. We targeted them in streams from the Alsea to the Tillamook bay rivers. Favorite flies were in what I’d call attractor patterns; spruce fly, bucktail coachman on a floating line. Didn’t have a clear intermediate line in those days but I’d take one if pursuing them today, or an Ambush with tips. Reverse spider patterns seem to be a popular pattern as well. One truism is they school, if you find one, others are around.
    They are beautiful, wild fish that hold a special place in my heart. I live a long ways from the coast these days, if I wanted to fish for them I’d try the Rogue as it also has some pretty good resident Cutts, check your regulations.
    Robert

Just went first week of November with my 7 year old son. We did quite well at spot very close to the Ocean in Humboldt County.
    Too easy to get to and had it all to ourselves. Real fun fish for kids with some great fight. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3991 (1).jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	13759.
    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity

But I know none, and therefore am no beast

-William Shakespeare

I think in the big scheme of things, coastal cutthroat are making a comeback in California. Before I retired, we were restoring tidal wetlands in the Eel River Delta and one of the first salmonid species recorded in our project areas were coastal cutts. Similar projects are and have been undertaken in and around Humboldt Bay, and while other federally and state listed species (coho salmon, tidewater goby) were perhaps the target, cutthroat have benefited as well. Restoration projects continue up and down the north coast, primarily targeting small tributaries which are important for coho but obviously benefit cutts.

California does have a history of propagating and planting coastal cutthroat along CA's north coast, primarily in the coastal lagoons (mainly Stone and Big Lagoons and Lake Earl). Originally a brood stock was maintained with fish originating from the Alsea River in Oregon. That broodstock program was discontinued in the late 1970's. In the late 80's to mid 90's, Humboldt State University's fish hatchery (along with the Mad River Hatchery) took over propagation. This was accomplished through collecting eggs originating from local wild adults and rearing to fingerling and sub catchable size. This was also discontinued due to concerns over cutthroat predation on tidewater gobies.

The lagoons mentioned above have self sustaining, in some cases thriving cutthroat populations. All three are reputed to have (and continue) to produce trophy class coastal cutthroat. Bruce mentioned the record cutt from Stone Lagoon which weighed 5 lbs 12 ounces and was caught in the 1980's. Though unofficial (state doesn't recognize subspecies in freshwater), I do believe the record still stands.
    Last edited by Bob Smith; 12-28-2017 at 10:33 AM.

Yes all good stuff. A friend of mine got one on the Mattole few years ago in March which was really cool to see. I have heard rumors of occasional sightings in a couple waters in Northern Mendocino County but nothing can be confirmed. Eel River is really the southern most end of it's current range
    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity

But I know none, and therefore am no beast

-William Shakespeare

I have fished for them a handful of times in and around the Puget Sound from both a boat and from shore. I was lucky enough to meet one of the Puget Sound Cutthroat legends who took me out and showed me how to catch them. It was a blast! After fishing with him, I took to the roads and just traveled around looking for good spots on beaches I could walk to and that was just as great. Those fish are really fun to catch and for their size, put up an excellent fight. I was using 5wt and 6wt rods depending on how windy it was.