Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly fishing for Searun Cutthroat trout in the Pacific Northwest.

Default Fly fishing for Searun Cutthroat trout in the Pacific Northwest.

They find them from Eel River north all the way to Southwest Alaska.

Some say they are a little like fishing Smallmouth Bass.

Small streamers are very popular.

Here are some video on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...utthroat+trout
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Any body here chase Sea-run Cuts?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

I do... After catching them incidentally over the years I started to target them in Northern California and Southern Oregon estuaries about two years ago and really got with it this past summer. It started as a reason to get out of the central Siskiyou County summer heat but now it's become a bit of an obsession. I tend to spend a lot of time looking and finding/catching them can be hit or miss. This is not a fishery like we read about in Puget Sound - this is an estuary/upper tidewater/lower river fishery. I have also fished a few of the California coastal lagoons.

The fish have diverse life histories as some will move out of the river systems and into estuaries where they reside for 3 or 4 months while others will apparently move out into the ocean during that time, only to return in the late summer/early fall. There is also a portion of the population that stays in their natal rivers/streams and never enter brackish or salt water. The average SRC I've encountered run from 9 to 15 inches in length - but I've caught much larger ones while fishing gear for salmon.

I find them to be very selective and at times, really frustrating. They'll often nudge or quickly grab and reject a fly when they are in picky mode. I've had my best success using floating and/or intermediate lines matched up with small (size 10-12), earthy colored shrimp and scud patterns. Brown, tan and olive colors seem to work the best.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	smithsrcaug152017s.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	13752  
    Last edited by Bob Smith; 12-27-2017 at 04:33 PM.

Thanks Bob,

What would be some good months to fish the Oregon coast?

It would be nice to go up on the California coast and Oregon coast in the summer to get out of the Sacramento Valley's heat.

My old friend Bob Borden, founder of Hareline products in Oregon, has a reputation for spending many years chasing Searun Cuts.

I will have to give him a call.........

I have heard that people catch them in the Eel, Klamath, Smith and Rogue Rivers.

In reading about it over the years I have seen that they use smaller winged bright colored Steelhead flies.

I would see how some natural nymphs / wet flies would be more consistent.

I guess they eat small fish and crustaceans in the tide water lagoons.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

I never specifically targeted them in rivers, but caught a ton of them over the years while targeted steelies in WA. There were times they were so aggressive it wasn't uncommon for them to strike a 6-inch leech pattern being stripped in.

With the fishing politics in Washington State cutties became a great "filler" for us. Quite often seasons would be cut short or emergency closures would keep us off various rivers. This simply meant changing out the two-handers for a 5wt or 6wt and fly boxes filled will intruders, marabous, etc, for small clousers, crazy charlies, baitfish, krill or polychaete (worms) patterns.

The great thing about fishing for cutties in the salt (including estuaries) was you never knew what you were going to catch! It could be a resident coho, might be a large sculpin, starry flounder, ling cod or a nice blackmouth (immature chinook).

Small sculpin and candlefish patterns were my absolute favorites!

Best times of the year were during fry out-migration and Aug/Sept.
    You shoulda been here yesterday!

I have fished them quite a bit in Puget Sound, and they are one of my favorite fish to chase. Watching the sunset over the Olympic Range, seals and the occasional whale rolling in the bay, flat calm water and the fish chasing sliders or a lightly weighted closure on a dry line ... pretty magical.

That said, finding them can be a challenge. Certain beaches only fish well on incoming tides, others outgoing, and NO ONE is more tight lipped about where to find fish than an SRC fisherman.

And SST is right, the salmon fry hatch (especially the chum and pink fry in March-April) and the pre-spawn in the fall are optimum, but anytime between March-Nov is worth a shot.

Bill, I would start fishing the Oregon coast estuaries in early to mid July and it should stay decent in through late September. I've had more success with small fish imitating flies in the rivers above tidewater than in the estuaries. The estuaries are full of small shrimp, scuds, marine worms and small juvenile fish such as sculpin, stickleback and outmigrating salmonids. I think a muddler might work (though I have not yet had success with it) but as I mentioned above - I've been more successful with small scud and shrimp patterns. I'm sure some of those old style steelhead flies might work as well.

As far as where to go, the Klamath and Smith estuaries in California and the Chetco and Rogue estuaries in southern Oregon all have decent numbers of coastal cutthroat. A couple of the California coastal lagoons such as Lake Earl and Big Lagoon are also known to have decent numbers of cutts. The further north you go up the Oregon coast, the more SRC you are likely to encounter. They are not always there (at least haven't been for me) and I have had plenty of trips were I was not successful. Estuaries are incredible places to fish so I don't mind getting skunked. Jay Nicholas recently published an excellent book about fly fishing for SRC in Oregon estuaries and rivers - I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in getting started with chasing them in California and Oregon.

Bob Borden is considered a real SRC guru and Puget Sound appears to be the center of sea run cutthroat universe!
    Last edited by Bob Smith; 12-27-2017 at 04:16 PM.

Any personal experience with Lake Earl/Tolowa? I've always been curious about that place, maybe it's time to finally do some exploring.

I've caught them in Big Lagoon in CA and elsewhere north. I don't know if the Big Lagoon ones ever head out to sea so may not be sea run coastal cutties. Not sure why but they are my favorite fish!
    Les Johnson has a great book about them, with a pretty good chapter of their abundance in CA. Book is getting long in the tooth though.

I've not had much personal experience fishing Lake Earl though I supervised the DFW staff while managing state wildlife areas on the North Coast. Lake Earl is locally well known for very large coastal cutthroat - for years there was a photo of one of our staff with a 24 inch cutt taken there. It's a place that's best fished from a boat but if you fish from shore, try to access the "narrows" between Lake Earl and Lake Tolowa. Lake Earl is the largest coastal lagoon on the West Coast and typically breaches (opens to the ocean) in early winter and remains tidal for several months before sealing back up. Some years (especially drought years), it stays tidal through the spring and summer. Cutthroat that are found in the lagoon are both sea run and adfluvial which is a life history strategy in which adult fish spawn and juveniles subsequently rear in streams but migrate to lakes (or lagoons) for feeding as subadults and adults.

I wish I had it dialed in on the best times to fish it ... but I have heard of fish being taken fish year around in the lagoon. There are two main feeder streams where coastal cutthroat spawn - so I'm guessing that fish will ascend the creeks once there's been enough rain to keep them flowing at decent rate in the late fall. It's a shame that the Eureka Fly Shop has closed down. Those guys were very good about keeping tabs on SRC fishing on the North Coast.