Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever used an automatic fly reel?

Default Have you ever used an automatic fly reel?

In my 50 years in the fishing business in Sacramento I put new fly lines on hundreds of old automatic fly reels.

Not so much in the past 20 years but before that members of the Greatest Generation would bring in their old automatic fly reels to get a new fly lines.

I use to buy them from people who no longer needed them to recycle them to old timers who had their old automatic give up.

I have one that I saved so some day I could actually go fly fishing with it.

They were very popular for walking the banks of bass ponds too.

Here is a movie/video of some guys fishing with a fairly modern automatic fly reel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcsOqwQ15Y0

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Yep, still have one. I grew to hate it because it was so heavy, I found the little Lamson LP 1 and never looked back.

If someone has a hankering for an automatic reel (and I can find it) I'll give it to you.

Yep, me too. My first fly reel was a South Bend, Oren-O-Matic. I still have it sitting on a shelf with several other memories from the past.

Thumbs up Automatic Fly Reels

I still have a Shakespear, automatic. Used it for crappie/sunfish on a very soft (noodle) Orvis blank I built for that type fishing. It's still got a line on it and I plan on continuing to use it in ponds/sloughs around here for years to come. Love being able to reel up slack line, quickly. Fun outfit.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Yep, I have one, it's a Shakespeare Tru-art I use it with my 9'6 wt Shakespeare Wonderrod that has a spring loaded real seat. Weight of the reel is not an issue with that rod. Both still in great condition.

Bronson Royal-Matic 390...... odd, nevertheless...... no knob for a handle!

I suspect that this reel came onto the market (from Japan) the same time as the infamous and ubiquitous (and not very good) bamboo fly rods from Japan.

Long before little Hondas and Toyota Celicas.
    Last edited by OceanSunfish; 12-20-2017 at 12:07 AM.

My Dad had one, I remember thinking, boy that takes all the fun out of reeling a fish in. I grew to have a disdain for that reel. Even now, I don't like electric reels. Even bottom fishing I would rather crank the fish up from 500 feet than use an electric. That is the best part fighting the fish. Mems.
    Don Memmer

Up to about 20 years ago we would see some automatic fly reels come in for a new fly line.

We did not work on automatic fly reels because it was just almost impossible.

We would get some old Pflueger Medalists in too. We would work on them, adding frame screws and tightening and lubing.

We don't get many Pflueger Medalist in any more.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I had an old JC Higgins automatic reel when I was young. Crank that thing to the max and you would be able to see a flying fish. I remember catching small blue gill and bringing them in right to the tip top.

Default Automatics....

Lol!!! Lol!!!
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown