Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need some casting help - South Bay

Default I need some casting help - South Bay

I'm trying to learn how to cast a striper line and I'm sort of getting it and sort of not.

On the plus side, I've managed to cast almost 100% of a RIO striper something, I can look it up, it's some sinking thing so super heavy in the front, I think 350 something. I can't do it all the time but at least 4 times in the last few days I've managed to cast all of the line less the length of the rod. I was into the backing but still had some fly line not out of the rod.n

I'm a guy who single hauls on the back cast, never learned to double haul. I'm "teaching" myself to double haul because, wow, when you do it right it moves the line, but I'm probably doing it wrong.

The problems I'm having are loop control and line control. When casting a 3/4/5/6/7wt I can do really nice tight loops, like a foot high without the top part tangling with the bottom part. That's when I single haul. When I add double hauling into that my loops go to shit.

The other, more serious problem, is with the striper line, multiple times I've had that line come sailing forward and hit me in the back. If there was a hook on there, that would really suck.

So I'm clearly doing it wrong, I'm happy to pay someone to coach me. The problem is there are no guides, so far as I know, that live near me (I'm in the Santa Cruz mountains, have an awesome pasture to go cast in).

If you are someone local that can coach me, I'll buy you beers, make you food, let you drive my tractors and excavator. If you are a guide who can help, I'll pay.

I feel like teaching myself I'm teaching bad habits. Not sure but not feeling good about the line hitting me in the back.

If you're line is hitting you in the back then what is happening is you're dropping the tip of your rod ON the back-cast. You've got to try and pick the line up quickly, and keep it HIGH, stopping at that proverbial 2:00 point. And HOLD it there till it loads.

If you drop your rod tip back to 3:00 or 4:00 on the back cast, the line will continue to drop and hit the ground (or water). Then what you are doing is creating an arch like a rainbow. The line then has to climb and go up in order to get past you before going forward.

Try and get those stops locked in. 10:00 and 2:00 and quit breaking your wrist on that back cast. Keep the line high.

The same on your forward cast. Stop at that 10:00 point. Don't throw at the water, thrown over it. Sometimes WAY over it and let the line unroll and have time to drop where you want it.

Last resort is to head over to California Fly Shop and ask them if you could try out a rod with a sinking line on it. They'll give you some immediate help with what you are doing wrong.

Now go practice on the lawn before you hurt yourself Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Lucky ,

Get in touch with Bill Kiene, and take a lesson, You can talk about casting all day long, however in real life it won't take long to fix your faulty casting stroke...Bill is the man for that job.

Carl Blackledge

Tony makes some good points, but perception (what you think you are doing) and reality sometimes don't always click. Tractor driving, free food, and beer, tempting as it may be, you would be better served with some instruction or constructive feedback on your set up and casting. Just drive down the hill to the San Jose casting ponds located at Los Gatos Creek County Park, 1250 Dell Ave in Campbell. They do charge for parking, but if you have a few eyes on your casting, the feedback will get you on the right track without cost. There is a transition when dealing with heavier lines that is not apparent to someone that is used to lighter rod weights. Like others have pointed out; practice, practice, practice good technique in order to develop muscle memory. Learning to double haul will get you the tight loops you are looking for.

Hope this helps.

I know those ponds, pulled some bass out of there. However, every time I've gone I'm the only guy around with a fly rod. is there some particular time when people tend to fly fish there?

Great idea though, I'll give it a whirl.

And I'm perfectly happy to pay someone who can actually help me improve, sorry if that wasn't clear.

The casting ponds (concrete impoundments) are on the north end of the park. When you enter the park, ask the gate attendant for directions. The direction will be your first left once past the entrance kiosk. Just drive to the end of the parking lot. Not certain when Tony Yap frequents the ponds, but there have to be others willing to help. Saturday, initially, would be your best bet to find someone to help you and find a good time to meet with someone. If it is anything like the Oakland casting ponds, if they spot someone struggling, they approach you with suggestions. Or if you ask around, they will introduce you to someone who will be happy to assist you.

OK, cool, I didn't know about those ponds, I've always fished the perc ponds. I'll give it a try this Saturday.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by gitt View Post
    The casting ponds (concrete impoundments) are on the north end of the park. When you enter the park, ask the gate attendant for directions. The direction will be your first left once past the entrance kiosk. Just drive to the end of the parking lot. Not certain when Tony Yap frequents the ponds, but there have to be others willing to help. Saturday, initially, would be your best bet to find someone to help you and find a good time to meet with someone. If it is anything like the Oakland casting ponds, if they spot someone struggling, they approach you with suggestions. Or if you ask around, they will introduce you to someone who will be happy to assist you.
    If you are willing to take a road trip to Oakland I am one of the Oakland casting pond regulars. We have several people who are very compitent casters that would be happy and willing to work with you. Lessons and instruction are gratis.
    Wed and Sat mornings are best.

Gitt has pointed me at San Jose Fly Casters, thanks!

I clearly need help, while I'm happy with my casting on 3-6wt with stuff like Rio Gold/Grand, 8/9wt with a sinking striper line is so different. I just don't know what I'm doing, I got the 9wt and went out and cast the striper line with that and I was worse than with the 8wt. And I have a strong instinct I'm doing it completely wrong.

Gitt warned me that the San Jose folks won't come try to help because some people react negatively (the whole "I got this" mentality). That's not me. I'm pretty happy with what I can do with light lines but I know I'm clueless with how to cast these heavy sink tip lines.

So I'm looking forward to getting some coaching and then? Stripers!

Who knows, maybe I'll learn how to spey cast some day, then steelhead.

Thanks to all who reached out to help, love this board.

Aloha
    When I started using the long heavy sinktip lines I had the same problem but with time and patience was able to get the hang of it. Now I can shoot my entire RIO line in one cast with only one false cast. What type of rod and what WT rod are you using? One thing that helped me was using a line that was rated for one WT heavier than the rod I was using, i.e. I was using a 9WT 9' rod and equipped it with a 10WT RIO outbound short line (the outbound striper line is similar just a little longer I think). I fish near manresa state beach in south county santa cruz every other day and will be down there consistently for the next few months if you want some help. PM me if you're interested