Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Pegging beads...more controversial than pineapple on pizza???

Well Ralph, I’m taking mortality. Ethics are subjective, mortality is documentable. I’m interested why there’s a standard for one thing when the evidence doesn’t seem to support it. If you want to be ethical we’ll just stand away from the water and watch trout rise, unmolested in the serenity of nature. Take only photographs, leave only footprints. Etc etc etc. You’re using the term “snagging” pretty liberally and I think you’re smart enough to know that. If you do feel so passionate about it I’m expecting to see you in the fly shops and in the guide boats demanding their removal. I have a feeling that won’t happen tho, as a random person on an Internet forum is a bit safer to critique.
    Again, I’m all ears to shop employees, guides, wildlife biologists, etc. I’m not singing the praises of beading for trout, I’m curious why some people are against it. From an evidence based position. Not their personal “touchy feelies” about nobility.
    Last edited by Gregg; 12-16-2017 at 11:38 PM.

It's a simple solution! Just don't fish egg patterns when the egg bites on! Swing some meat ... it's a better take!

Fishing a pegged bead properly is in no way "snagging", fish. Fish eat eggs, fish eat bugs, fish eat other fish. As fly fishermen we fish those patterns. So when one is fishing an egg pattern he is simply matching the "hatch". Just because someone is using a pattern that 'ONE", doesn't agree with does not mean they are snagging.

Eggs are a controversial pattern...beads even more so. They work great and are part of a fishes diet. Some purists will turn their noses up at those fishing those said patterns. So be it. It leaves more egg eaters for me

I was going to post that regardless of what we all think of the ethics of pegged beads, hooking a fish OUTSIDE the mouth is illegal BUT I went to verify that in the CA DFW code and couldn't find anywhere that says that. Did I miss it? there's a lot of regs written to prevent snagging but but I didn't see where hooking a fish on the outside of the mouth was illegal. If someone can find that, will you please post it?
    Thanks!

Pineapple, BBQ chicken, onions, bacon, and sun dried tomatoes! There’s a pizza! Don’t really care whether others are wise, and sophisticated enough to appreciate.

As for beads, I actually think that you have a point in terms of mortality issues, if we are comparing to other egg imitations (or actual eggs). Of course Mark has it right, that there is a much better comparison to be made; just skip the eggs altogether! My own issues with beads aren’t really ethically based, but aesthetically based. I mean we are talking about a bit of colored plastic, some split shot (lead for some), another plastic ball, all lobbed upstream, then waiting for the bobber to go down. I have tried it, and I just found myself asking what about it was fun? I get that it can be very effective, but that’s just not what fishing is all about, to me anyway.

I am no “purist”, or snob, and I’m fine with others fishing how they want, but I certainly wouldn’t advocate this style of fishing to others as I think that it really misses the mark of what makes fly fishing so much more rewarding and enjoyable. For some people, it’s really all about catching fish, and if that’s what floats your boat go for it. To me, the whole process is what makes the hookup so rewarding: the creative process of tying flies, the casting, the grab, etc, all make up for a total experience that does far more for me than the fish wiggling on the end of my line, or a photo. I found none of these ingredients fishing with beads, and the idea of contributing still more unnecessary plastic to our streams and oceans doesn’t sit right with me either.

Enjoy your pizza.
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

I'm not sure why you would expect me to lobby to make something illegal that is already illegal. There is no debate regarding the definition of snagging, and DFW has made it abundantly clear that fishing pegged beads is snagging. In the scheme of things flossing is so far down the list of things wardens have to worry about that I wouldn't expect them to go out of their way to bust guys snagging with beads nor does it bother me as much as you apparently think it does. You asked for my opinion and I gave it to you. I'm sorry you can't grasp the idea that ethical considerations are the basis for much of our hunting and fishing code known as "rules of fair chase."

To give examples other than snagging, you can't shoot ducks from a moving boat, chum for trout, bait bear, or shoot deer behind a spot light. None of these laws are based on biological reasons, they are based on the rules of "fair chase" as sportsmen have devised them over the decades. Most of us get it.

Back to the important question. Pineapple on pizza is an abomination. As is fruit flavor in beer.

How come no one has referenced the part of the current regs detailing why fishing beads is illegal? I'd call that a good starting point for making a point.

Quote Originally Posted by Siskiyoublues View Post
    How come no one has referenced the part of the current regs detailing why fishing beads is illegal? I'd call that a good starting point for making a point.
    Article 1. 2.00 (b) b) Snagging is prohibited. Snagging is defined as impaling or attempting to impale a fish in any part of its body other than inside the mouth by use of a hook, hooks, gaff , or other mechanical implement.

(c) It is unlawful to kill, or retain in possession any fish which has not voluntarily taken the bait or artificial lure inside its mouth.

I'm so sick and tired of the "my ethics are better than yours and I'm going above and beyond of the DFG regulations and you should too"......go fishing and don't mind what others do as long as they abide by the law.......