Thread: What weight rod?

Default What weight rod?

I bought a used Ross evolution 3.5 that came with RIO striper DC sink tip 26 ft 350gr.
    I'm trying to match it up with a rod and then go play with stripers (I know nothing about them, a guide suggestion for a newbie to go fish the delta would be most welcome).

I stumbled on a Sage Vantage 890-4 and it seems "OK". I've never owned a rod this big so I have no idea how it should feel. I got it in like new condition for $141 so I'm not out the big bucks.

And I've got a Sage 370-4 that is a fantastic rod (I know these are entry level, I've got 490-4, 590-4, and 690-4 in Sage Z-axis and that little 3 wt can almost keep up with all of them. It's awesome). So I took a chance on the 8wt and it seems fine, I can cast the line though it keeps hitting the ground, is that me, normal, or do I need a 9wt?

I've got a line on another Vantage in 990-4 so if that's the right rod I'll go get it and use the 890-4 for smallies.

Thanks for helping!

Lucky,

Most people buy the rod first , then buy a line that works great on said rod.

Carl

Striper 350 should work well on the 9 weight.

Casting these super fast sinking lines take some adjustment in your casting stroke.

I don't false cast those fast sinking lines with heavy Clouser type flies.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........