Thread: 330 grain Outbound for a Sage VXP 8 weight

Default 330 grain Outbound for a Sage VXP 8 weight

Thinking about buying the 330 grain ( Outbound for my #8 VXP. Sage says it is not overloaded with that line. Anyone have experience with this line/rod matchup? All good? The rod doesn't seem super stout or super fast and I'm concerned it may feel overloaded. And with lines so expensive I was looking for a second opinion!
    Thanks in advance!

Default 300gr.for an 8wt.?

Quote Originally Posted by John Sv View Post
    Thinking about buying the 330 grain ( Outbound for my #8 VXP. Sage says it is not overloaded with that line. Anyone have experience with this line/rod matchup? All good? The rod doesn't seem super stout or super fast and I'm concerned it may feel overloaded. And with lines so expensive I was looking for a second opinion!Thanks in advance!
    I'm surprised that Sage would think 330 grains is a suitable match for an 8wt.rod,let alone one like the VXP as that grain weight is more for a 10 or 11wt.rod according to the AFFTA chart...and while that reference table may not be as relevant (read accurate) these days,what with the multiplicity of line choice on offer,at least it's a guide.I'd get the 8wt.as it has a 315gr.head wt.anyway....and this line is meant for quick loading and (generally) throwing big flies with fast action rods.

I have to disagree with dynaflow. I think 330gr. is a bit light for my use. I use 350 -375gr. for most of my striper fishing and have NO problem casting it at all.

Now, having said that, are you using a floating or a sinking line? Grain weight to me means a sinking line most often, and I like to LOAD my rod when throwing big flies. If you are fishing a trout stream with light flies then a lighter line might be called for.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Sinking. Fast sinking...
    Thanks for the input!

Looks like the Rio Outbound Short 8 weight is 330 grains.

Rio Outbounds are all over lined about two sizes.

In the old measurements it was way different.

AFFTA (American Fly Fishing Trade Association).

These sizes where worked out by Myron Gregory.

http://www.ggacc.org/History

6 = 160
    7 = 185
    8 = 210
    9 = 240
    10 = 280/300
    11 = 330
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Hi Tony...you use a 350 to 375 grain line on an 8wt.rod? I could possibly understand it on something like a Sage Method,but on a VPX? than than that I must be missing something here,but then what you say about floating or sinking lines may give a different perspective.
    Cheers