Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drag: Disk versus click pawl

Lightbulb Drag: Disk versus click pawl

What is the difference between disk drag & click-pawl? One better then the other? One just a cheap way to build a reel? Would appreciate any and all insight. Thanks, Henry

Many variables here! Expensive to cheap with both reels your talking about. May I ask what fish you will be targeting? That will make a big difference on what to choose.

Click and pawl isn't really a drag as much as it just prevents overrun and birdsnest of your line. It's a gear and a spring that provides some tension. That said, if you're fishing for trout, you will land a large majority of your fish by stripping them in. A percentage of the rest you may get on the reel, but you can palm the rim (if it's constructed that way) if you need more drag. Only rarely will you really need a disk drag on a trout stream.

A disk drag has teflon, cork, or some other material that can be tightened against the reel spool to provide resistance. There are a number of quality reels with good disk drags in a moderate price range. Personally, I would only buy a click and pawl reel for a 4 weight or smaller if I knew I would only be using it on small streams.

CNC machined, large arbor disk reels have more advanced engineering than click and pawl but click and pawl type reels have worked fine for more than a century. The Hardy Perfect hasn't changed much since it was originally released in 1891 and they still make it. If someone gave me one for Christmas I would proudly use it on my best Steelhead rod.

I like click and pawl reels best in the smaller sizes too. I go up to a size 6 for most trout use but use a 6 wt cork disk type for Pyramid Lake since the fish can run bigger. But, there's nothing like the sound of a Hardy pawl reel clicking (screaming?) with a big fish taking a run. Abel used to make fine click and pawl reels too. Some people don't like the noise and wouldn't agree with me.

Disk drag is (mostly) better in the larger sizes for Steelhead, Salmon or Saltwater, although a lot of nice fish have been landed on pawl type reels. Disk drags are quieter, smoother and the drag actually does something and is very adjustable. You can palm a disk drag spool too just like click and pawl so you get the best of both worlds. Supposedly, they have less start up inertia which could save you from a breakoff when you first have a fish on. That's hard for me to quantify but it does make sense.
    Last edited by TahoeJoe; 12-13-2017 at 05:40 PM.

The click-n-pawl or ratchet drag is consistent, smooth and good for fishing where a light drag is all you need.

It can be a bit noisier too.

The disc drag is better when you need more drag to slow the fish down.

The disc drag is usually quieter.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Bill,

I think the old Hardy and the newer SA click and pawl reels were both entry level reels in the old days and if they didn't scream and make that famous noise that all the Steelheader's love, they would have left town with the Buffalo.

I fish Salmon out of my pram and use the Abel spey reels (clickers) sometimes they make so much noise it's almost embarrassing, however the crowd seem to love it. I have two ABEL spey reels one bright red and the other in shinny black for sale.

carlblackiedge@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJoe View Post
    CNC machined, large arbor disk reels have more advanced engineering than click and pawl but click and pawl type reels have worked fine for more than a century. The Hardy Perfect hasn't changed much since it was originally released in 1891 and they still make it. If someone gave me one for Christmas I would proudly use it on my best Steelhead rod.

I like click and pawl reels best in the smaller sizes too. I go up to a size 6 for most trout use but use a 6 wt cork disk type for Pyramid Lake since the fish can run bigger. But, there's nothing like the sound of a Hardy pawl reel clicking (screaming?) with a big fish taking a run. Abel still makes fine click a pawl reels too. Some people don't like the noise and wouldn't agree with me.

Disk drag is (mostly) better in the larger sizes for Steelhead, Salmon or Saltwater, although a lot of nice fish have been landed on pawl type reels. Disk drags are quieter, smoother and the drag actually does something and is very adjustable. You can palm a disk drag spool too just like click an pawl so you get the best of both worlds. Supposedly, they have less start up torque which could save you from a breakoff when you first have a fish on. That's hard for me to quantify but it does make sense.
    I am pretty sure that the Abel clickers are discontinued.

I have two of them and they are both for sale.

carlblackiedge@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Blackledge View Post
    I am pretty sure that the Abel clickers are discontinued.

I have two of them and they are both for sale.

carlblackiedge@aol.com
    I stand corrected. I just checked Abel's website, Abel doesn't make click and pawl reels anymore. But I know where you you might get a used one for a fair price.

--Joe

Thompson 100 and 1948 Hardy Perfect 3-5/8" are my two favorite clicker reels of all time. My JW Youngs Sage Model 106M from 1988 has landed many Steelhead as you can palm the edge of the spool as needed. By same token my Scientific Anglers System II that is 25 years old and the disc still going strong after landing all types of Salmon over the years. I like them all.
    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity

But I know none, and therefore am no beast

-William Shakespeare

Carl, are your reels on the classifieds here? Which models and $?