Thread: Drifting the Lower Feather from River Bend Park

Default Drifting the Lower Feather from River Bend Park

Good Morning,

What flows am I looking for to drift the Lower Feather River from put in at River Bend Park, off Montgomery Street, to take out at the diversion dam?

Thank you,

Branden

Branden,

The drift from Riverbend Park to the outlet takes about 2.5 hours if you are not fishing. Fishing time depends on how much you fish. You have have never drifted it before the river has changed. Sweep Riffle is very dangerous for new oarsman. It is very quick with a high volume of water that rushes down under a big oak tree. You can touch the tree while you go underneath it. Only about a 9 foot or so slot. Other places have changed and you you need to know which branch to take.

There is steelhead in the system. Enjoy and be safe.
    Lance Gray
    Fly Guide
    530-517-2204
    http://www.lancegrayandcompany.com

Thank you sir,

Was looking at that riffle on Google Earth. This would be the first time I row a river I have never been on. But I have no ego, I don't mind taking 100' foot rope and walking it down. Trees I hate. Learning to row on the Smith, I prefer rocks. I know them all, personally. over and over again...

The move isn't difficult at Steep Riffle but it could cause some trouble or even a flip if you don't time it right. I wouldn't want to fall out of the boat there, the root ball might make a dangerous strainer under the water. It's not a class V move and quite doable, if you have some skill on the sticks.

If you are really worried, you can go left into an alternate channel to bypass the drop and tree, it's on river left higher up. There are a few small overhanging trees on that route but they are not much of a problem. I guess if the water got really low that route might dry up and be a bit bony. I went that way without problems a few weeks back, just for a change of pace.

If you need a shuttle, I'd recommend calling Torri's Taxi Service. I've tried Uber before and had less than stellar results.

--Joe
    Last edited by TahoeJoe; 12-12-2017 at 10:57 AM.

I did that riffle without realizing how sketchy it was till I was dropping in. I would have probably done it again...but I'm dumb. Then I went with my buddy who is a bit wiser and he walked it on the right side of the drop in. Learned a lot that day, why risk it when you can just walk it. So walking it through that run on the right side after the first step down is also possible and quite easy if you stay heavy right. Be safe and good luck!

Thank you all so much for the info. I think I may go with a guide first before I drift it.