Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Giant Trevally destination - long film

Default Best Giant Trevally destination - long film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANA9RnP6Tls

This is not for everyone........very serious fly fishing.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Bill,

Thank you for sending this video out. I've watched it a bunch of times along with several other YOUTUBE about fishing GT's in the Seychelles. They Really get you pumped about GT's and wading. For anyone who has ever been to Christmas Island and taken a GT they just got a taste of the excitement that these fish can provide.

I've done a ton of research on going to the Seychelles and it ain't cheap, but,, how many times are you going to get to do it? The least expensive trip I've seen starts at about $8500.Most are about $10K-$12K. Plus airfare, plus hotel stay overs, plus tips, plus, plus, plus.

I've contacted the Alphonse Fishing Company which seems to have the most organized trips in that area and I'd go in a minute if I could find some guys that would like to give it a go.

Now, here's a reverse thought. For a lot of the guys coming out of South Africa going to the Seychelles would be like us going to Christmas Island. I've heard on some of the videos they talk about going to" far off places" like Christmas Island, as being WAY out in the Pacific Ocean. Kind of ironic everybody wants to go somewhere hey haven't been Me too
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Me tooooooo

One of the guides at the Alphonse Fishing Company live up Hwy 80 from the shop, may be in Auburn, California?

I think he guided in Alaska for some time too.

Sadly, right now I can't remember his name but someone like Terry or Gary at the shop might.

He comes down to our shop and talks with us about his salt water fly fishing.

I could probably find out his name and someone interested could meet with him at the shop when he is home?

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I am in the process of finalizing a trip to the Seychelles right now. Strongly leaning toward going to Providence Atoll. Like already pointed out. The Seychelles are not cheap but if you want a GT (the last fish on my bucket list) then there is NO better place to go both for numbers and size.

Best place I have fished for GT's is Palmyra. Best place I would like to fish is Midway. Seychelles is a cool trip and would be a blast, but I doubt it is the best place for GT's.
    Don Memmer

Don,

I'd love to go to either of those places, Midway or Palmyra. But aren't they both closed to the public ? Have you ever considered Fanning for a second week the next time you go to Christmas Is ? Combining the two stops with only one Fiji airline ticket would definitely save a few bucks.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Quote Originally Posted by mems View Post
    Best place I have fished for GT's is Palmyra. Best place I would like to fish is Midway. Seychelles is a cool trip and would be a blast, but I doubt it is the best place for GT's.
    You are the first piece of information I have ever seen that hasn't said the Seychelles are the place to go for GTs although the new Indonesian fishery sounds like it has potential. But its a bit irrelevant. Nobody can just go to Palmyra and the cost is 50% more than the expensive trips to the Seychelles not counting the expectation that you are going to be a major donor to the Conservancy.

If I had an opportunity to go to Palmyra and was a trust fund baby I do it in a minute!

As for Midway, I looked into a trip there years ago and last I heard you could not fish there....Marine Sanctuary.

OK so you have to be a big donor to the Nature Conservancy to hit Palmyra, but it was pretty nuts there. Midway is closed to taking fish, but they offer a teachers deal where you can go and count birds and then you can fish. It says you can't take fish, nothing about excersizing them. I have applied a couple of times, but Rick Gaffney is on the board, and he knows all I want to do is fish. Tony I have heard some crazy things about Fanning and the omiluu, bluefinned there. This place sounds pretty awesome, http://gt-popping.com/category/kadavu-fiji/
    Good luck with the Seychelles trip, post lots of pictures. The cool thing about going there would be the variety. One day I will get to midway, hopefully. Mems.
    Don Memmer

Default GT's

From what I've seen the Seychelles is hard to beat for the consistency,size and numbers of GT's,but the cost for the boat alone is horrendous(it's live on board)....then of course you have to get there.The remote islands in the Line Islands group like Palmyra and Fanning are poorly serviced and have next to no facilities,the least of which is water.There's a current sensational report on Cosmoledo from forumites on Australia's only Salt water fly fishing site for those who care to have a look...saltwaterflyfishing.com.au
    Cheers
    Last edited by dynaflow; 12-13-2017 at 01:22 AM.