Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The New Lower Yuba River

I agree, the Yuba and Truckee are the rivers that have skunked me the most since I've
    been fly fishing over 12+ years. Humbling. Yet sometimes, they give up some nice fish.

I have to remind myself that these fish are quite educated and see a lot of flies. So when
    you can hook up with even a couple fish, yer doing quite well. Especially on the T.

I don't fish the Yuba much, but one thing....you cannot beat that easy wading! What
    a cakewalk when compared to the Truckee, Upper Sac, Pit, NF Feather. Cake!

Eric O

Went out yesterday. Caught a decent amount and even a couple half pounder steelhead. With the amount of small fish there has to be the larger fish in there somewhere. It was my first trip back to the Yuba since last year. Saw one dead salmon carcass in the area I was in. I think the Yuba will fish well.

I hit the Yuba yesterday for the first time since the flood. I fished above the bridge I have to say there's a lot more fishable water than there used to be. There are a couple of new runs and a nice side channel just above the cliff.

As always the Yuba was reluctant to give up her fish, but I did get a couple in one of the new slots, one about 14 inches.

Saw a decent amount of bug life too. There were a few what I thought were grey drakes coming off...Troutstalker55 later informed me they were brown duns...it was a bad light day, what can I say. BWOs were coming off sporadically throughout the day but there wasn't much surface action until after 3pm. I had fish rising in the first big flat above the bridge, but I couldn't set my hook quick enough with 50 feet of line out and a big mend.

Saw just one salmon carcas and one skwala.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fish.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	6.8 KB 
ID:	13798Click image for larger version. 

Name:	skwala1.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	13799Click image for larger version. 

Name:	skwala2.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	13800

Great to be back on the water after a couple of months.
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy new fly fishing gear and that usually does the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    I hit the Yuba yesterday for the first time since the flood. I fished above the bridge I have to say there's a lot more fishable water than there used to be. There are a couple of new runs and a nice side channel just above the cliff.

As always the Yuba was reluctant to give up her fish, but I did get a couple in one of the new slots, one about 14 inches.

Saw a decent amount of bug life too. There were a few what I thought were grey drakes coming off...Troutstalker55 later informed me they were brown duns...it was a bad light day, what can I say. BWOs were coming off sporadically throughout the day but there wasn't much surface action until after 3pm. I had fish rising in the first big flat above the bridge, but I couldn't set my hook quick enough with 50 feet of line out and a big mend.

Saw just one salmon carcas and one skwala.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fish.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	6.8 KB 
ID:	13798Click image for larger version. 

Name:	skwala1.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	13799Click image for larger version. 

Name:	skwala2.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	13800

Great to be back on the water after a couple of months.
    Great seeing you on the water Bob! I was wrong, those were indeed Gray Drakes. The secondary wing is the clue to distinguishing the two apart. On the brown dun there is a notch near the tip, the Gray Drake does not have that.

For an accurate report on current conditions click here; https://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.bl...report_16.html

-J.
    "I fish, I write, I travel, and I'm hungry for more!"
    http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/
    The premier fly fishing guide service for the northern sierra.