Thread: Upper Sac Again

Default Upper Sac Again

Man, you should have been here yesterday (or last week).
    Classic line we have all heard at some point.

Well, yesterday was that day.
    Every thing came together to really turn on the fishing on the Upper Sac.
    Warm afternoon. Water dropped back to mostly normal levels here on town.
    Visibility was normal. No debris in/on the water, and the October Caddis
    were out and fluttering about.
    The fish decided it was a good day to eat some Caddis.
    I fishing a short stretch here in town from about 1:00 to 4:00 PM.
    No lie, in three hours I rose 30 fish to an size 8 royal stimmie.
    Alas, I only hooked a small portion of those fish, maybe 10 or so.
    I did not count actual fish landed. I counted the fish that come up to the fly because that is a better indication of how the action was. The number I hooked and landed just says how lucky I was.
    It is days like yesterday that cause us to tell people the October Caddis hatch can produce great dry fly fishing.
    Now it is suppose to rain today and get cold again (just for a day or two) so the bite may change over the week-end, but more warm afternoons forecast for next week. It could happen again.
    No pictures from yesterday, I did take a few shots of the October Caddis fluttering around the stream side vegetation but they did not come out good.
    Also no big fish. Most all of the fish were in the 10 to 12 inch range. I did bring up one largish fish but no contact was made (I did not not miss the fish, he missed the fly, at least that is my excuse and I am sticking to it)

Thanks Steven. That is awesome. Its why I always say... You gotta get out on the water. You never know.

Steven, I went up and fished near the Pollard Flat area today, decent number of fish rising to hatches between 1 and 3. Had a good time with small dries and with swinging a small partridge and green wet fly. Nothing of any size though maybe 12-13 inches was the biggest. Upper Sac is probably one of my favorite winter time waters.

Regards,

Tim C