Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Retire as young as you possible can.........seriously.

Agreed, Darian, as far as the "not bad advice to those considering retirement." A couple of the points I was trying to make are some people love their job and some people (talented surgeons and research scientists, for example), it would be a shame to lose their talent. Some performers have more than enough money to retire and can't perform as well as they used to - Jimmy Buffett, Willie Nelson come to mind - but they continue to work because they love what they do. If you're not enamored with your job and/or you would much rather be doing something else and circumstances permit, by all means retire as soon as you can. Personal wiring plays into this decision as much as personal circumstances is my point.

Default Retirement....

Understood and agree....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

According to the top 10 US insurance companies the sooner you retire, the longer you will live.

This is the statistical information they use to run their companies.

I was told about this about 30 years ago.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Insurance companies aside, medical research has found the following:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.7c076e025f47

Default Early Retirement....

Seems like the conclusion of the study was based on retiring early and sitting on the porch and doing nothing. I would agree that having nothing to do and/or doing nothing would have negative impacts on anyone in that situation. However, as I mentioned earlier, you should some idea of what you will do while retired (a plan). Altho, I didn't follow my own advice, I was still very busy for several years volunteering for NGOs, exercising heavily, fishing, some travel and goofing off in general (socializing). If I am an example, we age in retirement with decent health and tend to remain active, not sedentary.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Speaking only for myself (I'm currently only working 3 or 4 days a month), I find not having to deal with traffic on a daily basis is doing wonders for my mental health.

Default Traffic - YUK!!!

I moved to Sacramento (1975) when traffic was nothing like the volume we see now. May have to consider moving to a smaller city, myself....

Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post
    I moved to Sacramento (1975) when traffic was nothing like the volume we see now. May have to consider moving to a smaller city, myself....
    Made the mistake of taking Watt Ave last weekend when the marathon was going on. I'd like to have that time added back to my life. One time I tried to work in the Jackson, WY area and I went to a job in Pinedale and I was thinking how nice it is not to have traffic. Then I got caught behind sheep being herded. And they weren't crossing the road - they were going the same direction I was. As Gilda would say, "It's always something."

on a recent trip to NZ chasing trout down lonely gravel tracks, i had to wait for several cattle crossings. that kind of "traffic jam" is much easier on the mental health than the bumper to bumper on biz-80 here in Sacramento.

about to turn 35. if i can be off the hamster wheel in 15-20 years, i'll be tickled.

And many of us didn't have the threat of AI or robotics hanging over our heads. Those two factors alone are/will cause many to retire early. For many, it's going to be adapt, move, or take a seat in front of the TV. It's a different world out there, about to become very different. One of the few downsides of living in a first-world country.