Darian,

I was born and raised in Sacramento since 1947. My dad and I would walk over to the American and watch salmon working their way upstream from the Business 80 bridge which was under construction. There was no Cal Expo just grass fields and sheep being tended to by a Basque herder in a wagon.

As I grew up so did Sacramento and so did the traffic. After getting my first job teaching I bought my first house way out in the country of Citrus Heights. But then I had to deal with driving into Sacramento to teach and I started looking for a place farther out in Auburn or Shingle Springs. Still couldn't stand all the traffic and gave up teaching and moved to Napa. Much quieter place to live but found myself on the freeway again every day driving to work in Vacaville. Uugh. 45 minutes each way for almost thirty years.

Enough is enough and I retired early, sold everything, and moved full time to my cabin in Soda Springs. Took a while to get to that point but I'm glad I did. Been retired now for 17 years, and not much else to do but fish.
Tony