Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Australia - Gulf of Carpentaria

Default Weipa etc.

"Fish" Philliskirk is one of the best Guides in the country and you won't be disappointed here.As mentioned by other Forumites he will advise the best flies... like Pink Things & Black 'n Barred for Barra etc....and re Sydney,the Kingfish in the harbour will test your equipment,and there's no Sea Trout anywhere near here.You may be referring to (Australian)Salmon?.
    Cheers

opps, forgot to mention the "pink thing". They worked good for the few Barra's we caught in the Jackson river

Yes, I meant their salmon - not sure where I came up with sea trout.... I've been communicating with Philliskirk - if I can afford it I may go down that road. Thank you.
    Itchin' for a fishin'

Default Sydney Harbour Guide

Quote Originally Posted by ted1 View Post
    Yes, I meant their salmon - not sure where I came up with sea trout.... I've been communicating with Philliskirk - if I can afford it I may go down that road. Thank you.
    Justin Duggan is your go-to Guide in Sydney Harbour if you make it there...

I'm looking into him, thank you.
    Itchin' for a fishin'

I didn't end up getting to the gulf, but did hook up with Justin Duggan in the Pittwater region (about an hour north of Sydney). Cast to probably a hundred boils of Kingfish but they weren't having it. Ended up with a small Tailor (our bluefish), and a dozen or so perch fishing slack tide against the rocks. I was reminded of my poor casting skills after taking a break from shooting heads for so many years, but did learn a lot that will help make me a better fisherman around here. If I can stomach that 15 hour plane ride again, i'll be saving for the gulf in a few years. Thanks for all of the suggestions!
    Itchin' for a fishin'