Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Australia - Gulf of Carpentaria

Default Australia - Gulf of Carpentaria

Hello Ladies and Gents - it's been a while but I'd love some input on fly type and tackle suggestions for Australia's Weipa/Gulf of Carpentaria region. I'll likely be fishing for 3-4 days in mid-June 2018. Hoping to target queenfish, spanish mackerel, trevally, barramundi - and would love to get my hands on some tarpon, permit, and a GT or two

Doing some research to see what I can expect to catch that time of year, but it seems that these are all in play. Need to dust off the vise and re-learn how to tie some saltwater patterns. Of course, any advice on what to expect down there is much appreciated.

I will likely be using this guide: http://www.weipaflyfish.com.au/
    Itchin' for a fishin'

Ted,

Your guide should be all over what you need, and should have the proper flies for you.

Carl

I hope so, but I'd like to tie my own and would like to know what others have had success with for those species.
    Itchin' for a fishin'

The guide would still be your best bet....send him an email and ask him, my suggestion is don't tie anything till you talk to the guide....my 2 cents

Carl

I've been there 7 times. Then the fishing was fantastic but has died off since then. Don't get me wrong, it's still good fishing. We fished the Gulf of Carpentaria, living on a mothership for 8 days with 6 1/2 days of fishing from skiffs.

If you like, send me an email and I will tell you what you would probably need to take. Who are you fishing with, what outfitter.
    One thing, regarding the tarpon. They are not big. The biggest ones we caught were no more than 2 lbs. Of the species we caught, the permit (snub nose permit) were the toughest fish to catch. There are 7 different species of trevally to catch, I got one GT fishing from a skiff that was tied to the mother ship while the group used burley to catch the rock fish. GT's came up to eat and they were willing to grab the fly. My largest was 22 lbs but that was more than I wanted. I was using a 9 wt Loomis GLX.
    Queen fish were decent size, my largest was 27 lbs. They jump and fight like a dorado. Long tail tuna will test your equipment.

All these species and the thing about it, you don't need to chum them up. Just follow the balls of bait and you'll be into them.

Like I mentioned, send me an email and I will discuss with you. I will also send you some photo's of the fish and places we fished.

Also, if you want I have a couple video's that were shot and edited by our host Greg Bethune. But they are on VHS, yep old school.

Jay

We went one time in the end of June the first part of July. We had alot of rain and winds. This is there winter time. I found that late September or the first couple weeks of October we had some decent fishing days.

Ted,

Better yet, if you like you could PM your phone number and I will call you. It's easier for me to discuss over the phone rather than typing a novel. Up to you

Thanks Jay.......
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

For those of you who do FB, i posted a few photo's on the page. I sent Ted1 a few other photo's to show what's available.

Thanks Jay for the great info, very enlightening. If I can somehow afford the price, I'll be there. Also considering staying in the Sydney harbor for kingfish and sea trout - which is a more affordable option as I'll already be in Sydney.
    Itchin' for a fishin'