Thread: Another Upper Sac Update

Default Another Upper Sac Update

Well I was gonna put up a report that the Sac was fishing pretty good. Last couple of days fish have been on the October Caddis drys. One of the most frustrating opportunities for dry fly fishing that occur on the Upper Sac. Many folks hit it in October and find that the fish are not eating the drys, But that is because the fish like to wait until the Caddis are dying and are much easier to catch. So the tail end of the caddis action produces the best dry fly fishing.
    Fished a stretch here in town on Saturday afternoon and found many fish willing to come up and eat a size 8 royal Stimmie. I like the royal stimulator from the local shop because it has a tuft of white (calf tail ?) over the deer hair and that makes it much easier to see.
    Sunday went just south of town and it was a bit slower, but still found a decent number of fish that would take the dry.
    Then it rained, a lot. River went to 1,600 overnight and is still at 1,000.
    Looked at the water yesterday at the county line bridge (south end of town) and it was high and muddy.
    Little Castle creek was pumping in a lot of dirty water.
    River may still be fishable up high (Cantera), will probably check that out today.
    However the Sac usually comes down almost as fast as it goes up, once the rain stops.
    Weatherman says we should be dry the rest of the week so the river should be fishable again in a few days, next week-end could be good.

Quick add of Cantara info:
    River is a bit high up at Cantara I would say 3 to 4 inches over normal.
    River had a bit of color to it also. Not real dirty, visibility was still in the 2-3 ft range but definitely a bit off.
    That coupled with the increased flow and an abundance of debris going down the river (mostly leaves)
    all combined to put the bite off.
    Fished about 3 hours (1:30 to 4:30) and rose 4 fish to my stimmie. Hooked two and only landed one.
    Talked to another angler, who reported that the bite was good for about an hour around noon and then died off quickly.
    River needs a few days to settle down from the rain.
    Last edited by StevenB; 11-27-2017 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Add Cantara info