Thread: West Walker

Default West Walker

Is the west walker fishable? I saw somewhere that it is closed until April, but the CDFW website says that it is still open.

Yes, i believe last year was the first year they opened it year round but from Nov 15th until the regular opener its C&R only and barbless hooks. So the bait peeps are gone and this leaves a good option here for fly fisherman. I want to say the only section that is open is the canyon area along 395. On my way back from EW the other day i stopped to check it out and its a little off color but not bad. (little snow melt from record warmth) .

The West Walker is open year round from the 395 bridge (there's only one bridge) downstream to Topaz lake. So yes it is mainly the canyon section and through the towns of Walker and Coleville.
    Leavitt meadow, Pickle meadow and all the areas accessible along 108 are closed until the general trout season.

Yesterday with the sunny warm weather the WW fished very nicely. Besides the planter sized Rainbows had a 15 inch Brown to hand.
    Yes, God has supplied many things for which to be thankful!

Thanks for verification on the area you can fish. Congrats on the good fishing. I always say I'm going to devote more time in fishing the WW but I usually end up driving by and hitting the EW. Its a great walk and wade freestone river. I'm sure there are a lot of holdover planters in there. Also do not speed on 395 thru the canyon. Its a guaranteed ticket. I've never seen more CHP patrol an area than this section. I got off a few years ago because I had a kens sporting goods stickers and the nice CHP officer was also a fisher. Exchanging a few secrets saved my rear.

Yes, you have to watch the north bound as speed can pick up as the elevation drops. Better tickets than folks missing a curve and ending on the hillside or river.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick View Post
    Yes, you have to watch the north bound as speed can pick up as the elevation drops. Better tickets than folks missing a curve and ending on the hillside or river.
    Thanks for the tip, Dick! I'll be taking note of this for future reference.

__________________________________________________ _____________________
    Fly Fishing Beginner and Photographer at Petstreetmall, we're your pet supplies experts.
    Last edited by IanHollins; 12-07-2017 at 03:35 AM.