Thread: Truckee River - Update

Default Truckee River - Update

The river got a much needed flush with the recent heavy rain event. Little snow up top but only a few spots on the river. Flows kicked up by an additional 1-1.5k cubes depending on where you were on the river. The Glenshire stretch was around 1k and in the canyon 2k+. I fished the glenshire stretch and below boca. Both locations were good. Fish are not in there normal winter holding patterns (yet). I'm really starting to love a higher river. Fishing pressure was light and the trout were active hitting on streamers, eggs, worms, and stones. Got a few to the net and a few that said see ya later. Color of river was steelhead green and coming down quickly. (clearing). Water temps in the high 40's. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1556.jpg 
Views:	355 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	13565Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1563.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	13566

I'm thinking about heading up to the Truckee either tomorrow or Friday. My thinking is that pressure will be lower tomorrow, but flows will be lower on Friday making the river a bit more fish-able. What do you think?

Nice work CD! I'm sure a lot of people bailed knowing the water would rise.

Eric

Thanks Erico. Honestly I would just fish it Traviar. Flows are still on the higher side but the coloring is better for the angler right now. You can afford to be a little clumsy and loud whereas before you had to be pretty stealthy. Guys are getting into some really nice fish, especially rainbows. And everything is working. Bring the streamer rod. Just remember to add necessary split shot and don't worry about 5x stuff. Nymphing I would say 3-4x. A lot of resorts are opening up or have opened up. Pressure is pretty light. Get out and have fun. Spring conditions the next few days. Happy Turkey Day to all.! I'm heading up or over on the east side. Can't decide yet.

Looking out my office window and last nite's spritzer and this day's 60 something degrees has the river significantly up and cloudier than yesterday. For whatever that's worth.

Thanks. Looks like they are dumping a lot of water out of Tahoe right now after that heavy rain even last week. Flows have notched up to 1200 CFS -Tahoe City the last few day. Good luck to all and have a nice Thanksgiving.

Well, I didn't fish it and I think I'm going to pay for it tomorrow. Flows are crazy high now so it should be exciting. I just hope that the water is clear enough.

I ended up fishing the LT instead of the Truckee. The LT is in amazing shape and I caught one good sized rainbow on a san juan worm. I'm sure people can catch fish in these high flows of the Truckee, but I'm not one of them.

Travlar- Congrats. Having the LT as another option spoils the heck out of us. Personally I just love the miles of rugged terrain on the big truckee where I can "get away" a little.

The Big river is tough at these flows but she will most likely also give up her largest fish of the year when the water is high so the reward is often worth the challenge of a monster. One key that I've picked up on is just learning to fish in the correct water column which usually means adjusting the indo and adding plenty of weight. Not a bad idea to hire a guide if you have the means. Really a good option to learn the water.

I'm going to try and get out in the next few days. Weather is very nice. I'm actually hoping for a legitimate storm to get us going on our water supply.