Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Love the rain!

Default Love the rain!

The next two weeks should be good for fish moving through the systems. Hearing rain outside makes me happy!! Hope you all enjoy the wet weather!!

The bad thing is that the fish don't come along with the rain and that's why "fly fishing" is morphing into "fly casting"........too much talk about the lines, the rods, reels etc and very little about the fish caught.

Rain and snow is good.....we have to have it.

Sadly some can only come here only to read about the sport because they have personal issues that keep them for going fishing.

I promote early retirement for the very few who could pull this off.

Anyone who wants to talk about retirement issues please contact me.

The longer you work the less years you will have in retirement according to the top 10 life insurance companies.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Here you go . . . we headed up to the Trnity for a couple of days 2 weeks ago. The river was low and clear. Fishing was very spotty with most bost going between 0 - 3 fish. I was the recipient of some good luck and I'd like to think decent fishing as I went 9 for 12 on adults over the 2 days. Sadly, I lost the best fish of the bunch after about 1 minute.

The devastation from the Helena fire is very apparent. About 70 people/ families lost their homes and the fire burned both sides of the river. Bigfoot and Trinity Canyon Resort were hit big time. Trinity Canyon had 1 cabin left. I imagine that this rain could really cloud the river up below Baghdad.

BTW, Chris, what the hell were you doing up at 12:15 am on a worknight?? You must really be jonesing for some steelheading?
    Last edited by yubaman; 11-16-2017 at 11:01 AM.

Smith River, Mad River, Redwood Creek and Eel river are all open now due to the recent rains, probably other North Coast rivers too (I didn't check). I want to go but don't want to drive there and back. Like Bill says, early retirement would help. Beam me up Captain Kirk!

Yes Yubaman Bob have not been able to chase any steel this Fall. Schedule is all whacked out. We are working on the fire surveys seven days a week... I have to work this weekend so it was kind of a day off from the fire work. The only thing keeping me sane is the local creek has a great caddis hatch this year! Dry flies just like the good old days! Sounds like you are having fun though!! I would have to guess you were in Slim's boat and you guys were the first boat down the Trinity just whacking those chrome domes all the way down. Tight lines.

Quote Originally Posted by mogaru View Post
    The bad thing is that the fish don't come along with the rain and that's why "fly fishing" is morphing into "fly casting"........too much talk about the lines, the rods, reels etc and very little about the fish caught.
    Yes, but I sure love me some spey casting! Hearing the river, smelling the river and even tasting the river is what steelheading is all about! Maybe try holding your mouth the other way, it's worked for me a time or two .

Liked the rain until I got rear-ended in Modesto near my customer’s plant in Modesto this afternoon...

Anyhow, hope this will help me finally mark up my pristine 2017 steelhead card!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    Rain and snow is good.....we have to have it.

Sadly some can only come here only to read about the sport because they have personal issues that keep them for going fishing.

I promote early retirement for the very few who could pull this off.

Anyone who wants to talk about retirement issues please contact me.

The longer you work the less years you will have in retirement according to the top 10 life insurance companies.

Great words of wisdom and advice. When I was young, I planned towards my retirement which allowed me to retire really early and now I can fish whenever I want, which is usually during the week 2 or 3 times.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kranhold View Post
    Yes, but I sure love me some spey casting! Hearing the river, smelling the river and even tasting the river is what steelheading is all about! Maybe try holding your mouth the other way, it's worked for me a time or two .

Keep on "casting", I will be "fishing".....
    Last edited by mogaru; 11-18-2017 at 04:20 PM.