Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RV Friendly Campground Recomendations

Default RV Friendly Campground Recomendations

Okay all my Kiene's Brethren- Here is you chance to share your favorite RV campgrounds in Oregon, Idaho, Montana and Wyoming. Preferably with some options for fishing on the spot or close by! We are at 27' in length.

My wife, two boys, 13 and 9 years old, and I are taking two weeks to drive to and enjoy Yellowstone. We are taking off from the Bay Area with the timing being the last week of July and the first week of August 2018.

The first stop will be in Oregon and I hope the North Umpqua. Maybe the Rogue. I've never been to either and that time frame might find me with chance to hook some steel... can't resist!

From there we will head to Idaho then Montana and finally Wyoming where will camp in the park for a few days before heading back to Morgan Hill.

Any suggestions and recommendations will be appreciated.

Tight lines all!

Try Campfire Lodge Resort on Highway 287 between Hegben and Quake Lake outside of West Yellowstone MT. You can get campsites where your RV is roughly 20' from the Madison River and there is a ton of great fishing nearby.

https://koa.com/campgrounds/dillon/

Best KOA I have ever been to. The Beaverhead is literally 20' from your rv door, 5' if you get a spot right on the water. I spent 2 days walking up and down that area fishing and caught tons of fish. Best wading area I have been.

It is a KOA I want to buy.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Thanks for the input guys. I am trying to avoid the KOA'a and Good Sam's of the world. I don't want to camp in an RV lot...... I would like to stay in some of the State Campgrounds that have RV access. So far as i can tell though, the limited spots they have available for RVs are either first come first served or, I can't make a reservation until the end of January.

Susan Creek BLM campground on the North Umpqua is really great. It even has free hot showers and a couple of holes that hold steelhead.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie S View Post
    Susan Creek BLM campground on the North Umpqua is really great. It even has free hot showers and a couple of holes that hold steelhead.
    Thank you! This is what I am hoping for....

Any ideas for Idaho Montana, Wyoming and Utah?

Quote Originally Posted by BumpBailey View Post
    Thank you! This is what I am hoping for....

Any ideas for Idaho Montana, Wyoming and Utah?
    2nd Susan Creek, prime time for Steel. Valley of the Rogue State Park in Oregon is very nice, good water. Bit early for Steel but some good trout fishing.
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie S View Post
    Thank you guys for the suggestions. We have three nights booked at Susan Creek starting 7/22. I am really looking forward to getting a few hours of fishing in in the morning and exploring with the family the rest of the day! Maybe even an evening swing campside.... Any side trip suggestions? I think Toketee Falls are on the agenda for one day and maybe a Crater Lake Trek one day.

If any of you are around those days feel free to PM me. I WILL have cold beers!

Twin Rivers RV just outside of Roseburg is fairly nice. Right next door to the RV Park is a day use area that has access to the North and South Umpqua where they merge. Probably more expensive then Susan Creek but it's nice and shady with good hookups. As for the Rogue we always stay at Bridge View in Rogue River (nice riffle below the park). Nice facilities but pricey.

As for Idaho, the only place I like (and I live just down the road in Idaho Falls) is Riverside. Right on the Henrys Fork just below the Ranch section. Within striking distance of Yellowstone and a nice USFS Camp. No hookups but vault toilets and potable water.

From Roseburg to Montana you should consider either:

1) going through Lewston & Orofino, ID and then Hwy 12 which follows the Lochsa River to the summit-- lots of dispersed camping spots and great fishing. Hwy 12 ends in Lolo, MT (Hamilotn Valley). Probably too early to try for steelhead on the Clearwater River near Orofino. North Fork of Clearwater River & Kelley Creek are primo cutthroat waters, but would require an extra day or? I think most of the USFS campsites in the Nez Perce Clearwater Forest are first come first served, but weekdays should be no problem.

2) If you are going on I 90- (Coeur d'Alene to Missoula) - there is a unique bike ride that will make family memories-- "The Hiawatha Trail". It is on an old railroad bed, goes through 9 tunnels, one of which is over a mile, plus over several trestles- overall it is 13miles ALL DOWNHILL with a school bus to shuttle back to the top. You can rent bikes nearby at Lookout Pass Ski Area. http://www.ridethehiawatha.com/

On Montana side of the pass the St Regis River runs alongside I-90 and there are several access roads. it is a small river fished primarily by locals but is usually very productive. There are some dispersed camping areas where there are bridges- on the south side of the river.

Look forward to your trip report.

Jim