Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Little Truckee River...duck hunting?

Default Little Truckee River...duck hunting?

Winter before last I was walking the LT between Stampede and Boca looking for rising fish, and a guy around my age was walking the river jump shooting ducks. In the summer I find empty shells regularly, so I imagine people are out there at least semi-often. Is the LT span between the reservoirs BLM land and open to hunting? It isn’t marked on DFW maps, curious about the regulations / legality for anyone who knows?

Land is administered by the Forest Service, TNF, Truckee Ranger District.

Well if you’re able to walk around and fish the LT I’m sure it’s public land. As long as he’s 150 ft from roads or houses it’s legal to do.

Killer. I’ve flushed a ton of quail by the water and always wondered about shooting out there. Cover by the water can be dense, but some days I’m fishing out there all alone and would be fun to bring some birds home also.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    Killer. I’ve flushed a ton of quail by the water and always wondered about shooting out there. Cover by the water can be dense, but some days I’m fishing out there all alone and would be fun to bring some birds home also.
    Hopefully not literally. Having encountered raining shot on the Little Truckee, if you do hunt there better be very careful of where you are shooting. Lot of fishers on the water at all time of the year, and as a rule they do not wear hunter's orange.
    -JD

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Hopefully not literally. Having encountered raining shot on the Little Truckee, if you do hunt there better be very careful of where you are shooting. Lot of fishers on the water at all time of the year, and as a rule they do not wear hunter's orange.
    JD - Greg is a stand up responsible hunter and angler, still though, great advice. I most often use the dense willows to mask my presence while on the water with my guests, often to see what runs are occupied from the west side. - J.
    "I fish, I write, I travel, and I'm hungry for more!"
    http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/
    The premier fly fishing guide service for the northern sierra.

Yea, this is why it's never occurred to me to even think about shooting out there. Was a surprise to come across this guy, hence me questioning the legality of shooting out there and the land designation. I've fished the LT probably 100 days in the last couple years and have found spent shells, but never seen anyone else ever shooting or hunting. I'd venture to say the vast majority of hunters are overly cautious and responsible, especially with such deep cover. I'm far more concerned with yahoos shooting off AR's at the Lower Yuba, literally seen dudes popping off rounds at the river rock embankments. Baffles me how you have to go through fairly comprehensive training to get a hunting license but not to just buy a gun and go play with it.

Regardless, safety first. Even above bacon wrapped quail breasts.

I have seen many guys hunt out there for ducks....they are usually done after dawn.
    Quail is lower and later.......
    I don't care really...Makes fishing sporty....
    Just pick up your shells.....
    I pick them up alot, and seems to be the bulk of the trash out there.... Kind of detracts from the "wilderness experience".
    I see this on the big T as well.
    Jim

I've gotten a few wakeup calls on the Big T before. Scared the daylights out of me. Don't fish the Little T much but it sounds like you guys have that covered. Like others echo just be responsible and know there are not only fisherman but bird watchers, dog walkers, and other folks enjoying mother nature. I see a lot of shells on the EW in Nevada/CA as well.

Greg,

"Regardless, safety first. Even above bacon wrapped quail breasts." Regardless of it all, Ashley, food, dear god bacon and the fam is above it all. Lets get together soon and hang brother. See you on the other side - J.
    "I fish, I write, I travel, and I'm hungry for more!"
    http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/
    The premier fly fishing guide service for the northern sierra.