Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Island

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

Quote Originally Posted by Baja Fly Fisher View Post
    I could go "fishless", it wouldn't bother me. Bones are easy to catch, triggers can and do get picky, GT's
    I hear you. GT's are just so aggressive and strong, and I would say if one focuses on GT's you will get some shots. We had a bigger one chase a fly and a couple baitfish right up to our feet and the GT's head was bulging out of the water. Unfortunately, it chose one of the real baitfish to make his play and the fly wound up right next to us. Pretty cool little episode though. Triggers eluded me and I tried hard for them. Just about the time I'd get one to look at the fly it would settle into the coral and I'd be buggered. We tried twice for the big milkfish in the main channels during a strong tidal flow. We couldn't get the fly to flow into one of the milkfish'mouth but that was really cool too. There were a half dozen big manta rays swimming with them too.
    Last edited by DLJeff; 11-13-2017 at 05:26 PM.

Triggers, my friends really go crazy over these guys. To me they are just hagi, but can be a challenge.

Even the little ones pull hard, this one on an 8wt. Just keep them out of their hole, problem there are holes everywhere!

The big ones will smoke you even on a 12wt.

Me I like papio, love omilu, bluefinned.

Bitta and this buttaguchi are both smiling, fun to let the guides fish with you.

GT's will put a smile on your face, and some sore arms

My friend Sean with the largest one on our last trip.

Sean with two rods ready to go water skiing, CI style.

That is where my 100lber swam off to, somewhere in that direction. he took 300yrds of line and broke the 60lb leader. Next time only 80lb fluro. Those memories keep me coming back and haunt my dreams. Love CI! Mems.
    Don Memmer

Cool GT's/Triggers....

WOW!!! Those're some great photos, Don. I'll have to have some work done on my knee before I tackle GT's. Triggers are still a possibility, tho.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Don, how big were those GT's? Triggers were my target fish this year but I'll hook up on anything that will make me see my backing.
    I also love CI and can't wait too go back. I was lucky to land the GT I hooked up on, using only 20# leader with a 30# bite

Hey Jay, the big one went about 70lbs. The smaller one 45lbs.

This is my largest so far about 80lbs.

This is my friend Richards largest about 60lbs.

Doug Howard's largest about 60lbs.

Here is a 30lber with Moana, I really miss Moana. I hope he watches over me next time I am there. Love GT's.
    Don Memmer

Quote Originally Posted by Baja Fly Fisher View Post
    Don, is that the Edge Rod. What weight did you use on the milk fish. I just ordered a 7 weight, should be here today. I might get one of each size
    Some observations if I may...I wouldn't take a 7wt.for Milkfish if that's your intention.That's a Bonefish rod and simply isn't enough rod for the task at hand.Fights out of a boat for Milkfish are often long affairs and I would recommend a strong 9wt.or better (I use a 9wt.Hardy Pro-Axis).Mems did well to get his fish on that 8wt.(experience pays)...and of course the Wabnitz Worm is a San Juan variation.Use Ultra Chenille (Hareline or Wapsi in Tan or Brown)...that Squirmy material will work but it's not robust enough and you'll chew through flies pretty quickly so forget it....Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by dynaflow View Post
    ...and of course the Wabnitz Worm is a San Juan variation.
    Nope - never seen a San Juan Worm .... wrong again!

Don - some mighty nice fish in amongst that lot - no wonder you've got the addiction !

Here's a couple more I've taken. Take about addictive. Wish I lived a little closer to those Seychelles
    Tony

TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Tony,
    Great looking GT's. I definitely have the fever. If I lived in Hawaii, I'd be going more than once a year.
    I'd like to find a motel on CI where I could pay by the week then hire a guide when I wanted to fish. I know
    of one guide whom I could get. I would love to do three weeks straight but a DIY. Crystal Beach won't do a three week window
    and I don't want to pay the full price on what the outfitters charge.

Jay,

On our first trip there with Crystal Beach Outfitters, we were hosted by Rob Ramsey. Rob had already been there three weeks and was staying for a forth. Apparently he does this as a regular thing with Fly Water Travel in Ashland Ore.. Give Dylon Rose a call there, if you haven't already.

Count me in if you get it figured out. Maybe one of those palapas on stilts would be affordable. Still have to figure out food and water ?
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180