Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Island

Send a picture when you are pau, should be pretty cool.
    Don Memmer

Thumbs up Wabnitz Worm....

In the earlier posts, I mentioned the flies I used on the flats but forgot to mention that I caught most of my fish on a pattern called the Wabnitz Worm (a pattern from Australia or New Zealand). Simple fly with a pearl body (like a Gotcha) with a wing of a single strand of tan or brown chenille 1 1/2 X longer than the shank of the hook. Also, bead chain or dumbbell eyes. Hook size 6-8. My guide (TJ) tied this fly on first and only changed it when it stopped catching fish.

One caution, the worm living in the sandy flats described on YouTube is red but, IMO, tan or brown is a better color for the chenille wing. I've been deciding if a slight change in wing material (closed cell foam) like used in the Loco Moco tied by Glen Ueda would make this pattern even better....

If you're going to X-mas Island give this pattern a try. You'll be pleasantly surprised.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Enough chitter-chatter about shadow boxes and dunking cameras, let's see some pictures.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Tony,

I'll send you some. Too hard to post to the site.

Darian

That reminded me, I forgot to use the Loco-Moco's I brought. Next trip.

Here is Jay's GT, pretty impressive for a 10wt.
    Don Memmer

That's a good fish on ANY weight rod. Way to go Jay! If they had GT's around here, I think I'd have to give up chasing stripers
    Probably not.

Those La Paz Toro/ Jack Crevalle take a close second though. Love'um all. Tony

Jay, is your guide's name Matt ?
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Default Photo's

Trying to get photo's out of iPhoto. What a PIA!!!
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

Jay,
    Nice geet. Just out of curiousity, was that fish up on the sand flats? Out cruising the coral on Paris? Cruising the deeper channels next to a flat? We only saw one GT mooching around on the sand flat, following a big trigger around, waiting for the trigger to spook baitfish. Most our shots were fish cruising the deeper channels. Did you try for the milkfish in the two main channels into the lagoon? We did twice but didn't get a hook up. Cool watching the manta rays though.

Hi Darian,I'm glad you had success with my mate George (Peter) Hammer's worm variation the "Wabnitz Worm".However,like the "George Bush" I use it sparingly and save it for when I'm getting refusals on tried 'n true patterns.It's especially good for big Bonefish and I tie mine on #6 Gamakatsu SL11-3H which is a big hook in comparison to other makers and IMHO the single best hook for Bonefish out there atm.The Wabnitz Worm can be fished three ways..static,short incremental strips or a long slow drag,depending on the conditions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1060156.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	13554