Just got home yesterday morning from Christmas Island. What a difference between March and October. We went March of 2016 and had lot's of rain, rain and winds. This trip, the whole island was dry but we still had the winds, not bad though if you call 25/30 mph not bad.
Lot's of bones caught and a few GT's. I think I had the largest GT in the group. Some where between 35/40lbs hell,I'll call it 40lbs why be shy. I got it on a sea habit tropical fly, 9' 10wt Mangrove and lot's of line. The first run took off 300yards off the reel along with the 100' fly line. The guide went running down the line using my bone fish rod to lift the line, keeping it out of the coral. I have photo's but will post later or on to my FB page.
My biggest bone was around 4lbs. I was using the new Axiom II rod by TFO. I threw a 7 wt rod all week. Your probably asking yourself - a 7 wt rod in 25mph winds, no way. Yes way. Using a RIO Flats Pro line and a side arm cast getting a 45' cast was no problem. But you didn't need to cast 45' most fish spotted were within 20' to 25'. Some were as close as 10'. It makes it tough spotting fish with all the ripples on the water. It took me some time to figure it out but I was able to see the fish. I was my own guide. I let my partner use the guide and I went wandering off in other directions. Good and bad. Good that you learn how to spot the fish, BAD that if you step into a hole up to your knees, it's hard to get out by yourself. I also sunk up to my right knee in that soft yucky white mud along with my right hand and reel and rod handle. Thank god for sealed drag system and a bottle of water. Once I got out, I took off the spool and poured my fresh water to clean out the yuck. Good and bad -again. Good the reel was clean, Bad I had no more water to drink. A long walk in 87 degree temperature and 84 degree water
More later, I have to go pick up my 8"x10" print at my local photo shop. Going to mount the photo along with the fly - sea habit tropical