Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any Klammath/Trinity updates

I had minimal waits on 299 a week ago. No work on Buckhorn at all and a couple of 5 minute stops farther down by Junction City and Del Loma. Depending on what CalTrans has going, YMMV.

There is lots of good water to swing below Junction City. You have to be willing to work hard to climb down to the river from the turnouts on 299 - actually the upper part is worse. Scout first, then hike!

Keep in mind that the river is closed in the Burnt Ranch section, from the bridge at Hawkins Bar up to the bridge at Cedar Flat.

Fishing was very slow on the Trinity last week, mostly lots of salmon smolts and small trout like "steelhead". Switching to a larger fly stopped that problem but created a new one...

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJoe View Post
    There is lots of good water to swing below Junction City. You have to be willing to work hard to climb down to the river from the turnouts on 299 - actually the up part is worse. Scout first, then hike! Keep in mind that the river is closed in the Burnt Ranch section, from the bridge at Hawkins Bar up to the bridge at Cedar Flat.

Fishing was very slow on the Trinity last week, mostly lots of salmon smolts and small trout like "steelhead". Switching to a larger fly stopped that problem but created a new one...

Thank you all for the feedback. It is appreciated. I have been checking the Cal Trans website and will again on Weds.

Thanks for the update TahoeJoe. I wasn't aware of the closure in that area. We will avoid that section. Good advice on the scout before climbing!

I drifted from DC down to Pigeon Point over three days last week. The fishing was slow and the boat traffic was heavy. We had 7 boats in front of us on the Evan Bar run of Friday. We struggled a bit but I did see some fish caught that day. We only landed 4 adults and few half pounders during the three days. But my buddy caught his first Trinity steelie over 30". The traffic around JC and Pigeon was not an issue, 10 min delays.

Just returned from fishing near French Cr and there wasn't much wait at all in that slide area, looks like they are winding down the work. The repairs are completed near JC, so no roadwork there, just the moonscape left by the fires. Petty sad.
    Gonna make a mess of the river if it rains heavily soon.

Otherwise, pretty quiet - saw none, caught none.
    Chilly mornings, warm afternoons.
    Drift boats were as far up as Steel bridge and down to Baghdad
    Did see a bald eagle on the Trinity near Douglas City.
    Usually see one or two on the Klamath, first time on the Trinity, so that was cool.
    Steelhead gear = $6287, no of adults caught = 3, amortized cost = $2,095.67, beaching that 30" fish and letting it go = priceless

Just got back from the Jefferson Spey Sessions and had a pretty good weekend. Never having fished the Klammath it was great to learn some new waters and the teaching aspect was great. I definitely improved my casting abilities and learned invaluable tips in reading water, swing control, line management and snagged fly retrievals.

We fished some spot on the Trinity on the way in on Thursday, all below JC. No love until we got into Hoopa and found a nice pod of halfies. It rained all day on Friday but the fishing was pretty constant for us. I think we only were skunked at one hole. It slowed a bit for us on Saturday and we only picked up a couple yesterday. My buddy had a nice adult on yesterday. Our instructor estimated 10lbs.... LDR'd after a couple of leaps.

More rain is expected this week. I think the Northern California Steelhead season is officially in full swing!

Thanks a lot......

I think all these on the water seminars are wonderful.

Also going with a good recommended guide who specializes in two handed fly fishing and swinging flies.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Jay,

Good meeting you and Adam. We had about the same results as you on Sunday. Sure was a great trip, can not wait till next year so I can have a whole new set of problems for Whitney to resolve...LOL

Good meeting you and Peter as well. Whitney is a task master. But she knows her shit! I learned a little something different from all three!

Quote Originally Posted by NCL View Post
    Jay,

Good meeting you and Adam. We had about the same results as you on Sunday. Sure was a great trip, can not wait till next year so I can have a whole new set of problems for Whitney to resolve...LOL