Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Klammath/Trinity updates

Default Any Klammath/Trinity updates

Morning All. Happy Steelhead Season everyone! I am heading up to The Jefferson Spey Sessions next week and plan on fishing Thursday before check in. We'll most like be going Hwy 5 to 299 to Weitchpec then up to Orleans. I looked at the CalTrans site and the road closures don't look too bad. Can anyone vouch on the delays heading that way(Up Buckhorn & Weaverville to Orleans)?

We plan on being in the hills by first light Thursday and we will to spend the day fishing before checking in. Anybody having any luck below JC? Or, are we better off pushing on all the way to the Klammath? Below JC and the Klammath are new waters for me, any direction given would be appreciated!! The anticipation is growing!

CalTrans websites www.dot.ca.gov have been good to me in the past. You are going to enjoy the Sessions, I hope the fish cooperate. The guides are the best, food is good and that section of the river is just beautiful. I went in 2015 and all 5 “sports” caught fish, for two their first Steelhead. Dries, waking and sunk with heavy tips, all methods worked. Whitney, Jason and Rich are just great people to fish with and you just may learn something.
    E. B. Duggan writes a report for Trinity County Chamber of Commerce and My Outdoor Buddy website, might check it out for reports, he seems to be a little more honest than some as to conditions.

My information on the 299 route is a little dated but maybe worth looking into.

I was stopped at the "burn clearing" along 299 for 35 minutes about twelve days ago and when I mentioned this to someone in Weaverville she told me I had been lucky that it was only 35 minutes.

You might want to consider going north on I5 to 96 and down to Orleans, but there may be delays there as well because of fire cleanup.

I will say that stopping along 299, once you get settled in is not a bad thing. Sit back, talk, read, have a cuppa'. Looking out at the loss of property from the fire was not wonderful in any way, but beyond that I looked at it as a break.

Default Road Conditions

299 has stops all the way across with lights and misc Cal Trans repair, but nothing significant until you get to Bagdad, then you will have a 30-60 minute delay. Other than that, roads are open

Quote Originally Posted by pvsprme View Post
    CalTrans websites www.dot.ca.gov have been good to me in the past.
    You can also get Caltrans up to date info on the phone 1-800-427-7623. They update frequently.
    Last edited by JayDubP; 10-27-2017 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BumpBailey View Post
    Morning All. Happy Steelhead Season everyone! I am heading up to The Jefferson Spey Sessions next week and plan on fishing Thursday before check in. We'll most like be going Hwy 5 to 299 to Weitchpec then up to Orleans. I looked at the CalTrans site and the road closures don't look too bad. Can anyone vouch on the delays heading that way(Up Buckhorn & Weaverville to Orleans)?

We plan on being in the hills by first light Thursday and we will to spend the day fishing before checking in. Anybody having any luck below JC? Or, are we better off pushing on all the way to the Klammath? Below JC and the Klammath are new waters for me, any direction given would be appreciated!! The anticipation is growing!
    I will be on that same trip. Looks like we are going to get rained on for the entire time.

Mitch - it does look like rain but the precipitation models are suggesting the big blow out will wait until your trip is complete.

I fished the mid/upper Klamath this past week from Skeahan Bar to Walker Bridge Road. I was looking for spawning chinook to fish around but wasn't able to locate any. I did some swinging and indicator fishing in some runs that have been productive in the past. Lots of 7-9 inch smolts but no halfpounders or adults.

I'm headed up to the Spey Session next week as well. A little rain will freshen things up and get those fishing moving. It will be awesome regardless!

Bob,

Thanks. Try the new reel?

Mitch - I'm borrowing a 9 weight from a buddy and will strap on the Ross for it's maiden (for me) voyage in the Smith River estuary this coming Tuesday. I am still looking for a rod to match up with it.

The latest forecast model runs are suggesting a heavier precipitation event for next weekend compared to the earlier model runs (2.6 inches through midday Sunday for the Orleans area). That country can take a lot of rain though there's some massive wildfire burn scars upstream which could potentially muck things up. Fingers crossed that things hold together for your spey session.
    Last edited by Bob Smith; 10-29-2017 at 07:56 AM.