Thread: Hat Creek

Default Hat Creek

Got an invite to fish this area based out of old station. Any fly recommendations would be appreciated. Have about 10 days to warm-up the vise.

Fished it 2016, but not in the colder months. Smaller brighter nymphs worked well late spring early summer, hoping to pick up some tips from autumn experience.

Thanks for the help.
    Exit 7

In October we have found small mayflies, maybe #18 Baetis (BWO) emerging mid-day on Hat Creek.

We would use a soft tipped 9' #4 line rod with a floating line, long leader to 6x tippet and a #18 paradun.

On these slow flat waters we like to get upstream/ above the working fish and drift the fly down to them so they see the fly first.

__________________________________________________ ________

Some years ago we had a young couple that was going to Hat Creek every weekend in October.

Every weekend the young lady would watch her boy friend catch lots of nice wild trout on small dries on this Baetis hatch.

They were in mid-week getting ready for their third weekend trip and she said, "It doesn't look that hard."

They bought her a light outfit and she fished with him from then on.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I think for the most part you will see fishing reports and answers regarding the lower part of Hat Creek below Baum Lake. The area between Powerhouse 2 on down to Lake Britton is a blue ribbon wild trout Spring Creek fishery. I believe that is the section that Bill was referring to.

Now the upper reaches of the stream by Old Station is more like a typical Sierra Freestone stream more narrow than the lower section. In those upper reaches I find that the typical Sierra patterns work well Elk Hair Caddis, para-Adams, para-ants, hoppers, Pheasant tails, Hares Ears, etc... The fish in the upper section are heavily stocked and not as picky as they are in the lower section. However, you will share the water with the occasional spin or bait fisherman.

Around this time last year the lower section got to busy for me one day, so I fished the upper section near Old Station and did quite well with a size 16 bead head pheasant tail nymph drifted through the slots.

Regards,

Tim C.

Thanks Bill, looks like the small hooks will go in the vice. Put some soft hackles in the box too..

Thank you too Tim. When last up there I only fished the upper stretches between Old Station say few miles up and down. On the way out, my friends then drove through Cassel and Burney. I felt gut punched for not researching more on the area. Had the fever getting the invite and fishing new to me waters.
    Exit 7

Looking at SST on the tying forum, thinking of putting some APs in the box. What's your take?
    Exit 7

Best bet for the lower section is to look at the stream report at the Fly Shop, for some ideas...
    http://www.theflyshop.com/streamreport.html

They list lot's of proven patterns for that stretch of water.

Thank you. Getting amped and forgot the obvious once again!
    Exit 7

Quote Originally Posted by jersey View Post
    Thank you. Getting amped and forgot the obvious once again!
    even better call the Ted Fay Fly Shop in Dunsmuir. I've always found the Fly Shop reports a little suspect.
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy new fly fishing gear and that usually does the trick.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Good couple of days up there. Thank you guys very much for the input.

Caught only two fish below PH2 on Hat Creek. Many caught on the upper Creek too. It's a cool fishery, as I prefer to hike away from access ease. It was fun. Best producing fly was a North Country spider starling on black. This bug even produced on the slow flows at Cassel.

Best fish of the trip was on the Pit. It took a bird nest at the bottom of a short but heavy riffle. Holy smokes did that fish pull. Good fun.

Really appreciate the help guys!
    Exit 7