Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite 5 weight rod for nymphing?

Default Favorite 5 weight rod for nymphing?

My oldest son finally has a decent job and is looking for a 5 weight for nymphing. He's thinking about a Sage, but frankly, for tossing lead that seems like overkill with a high price. My favorite nymphing rod is a 4 weight St Croix Legend. I've never used/tried some of the newer rods like TFO, Redington, Loomis, Echo, or even Cabela's. I know that Sage, Thomas and Thomas, Orvis, and Winston are great brands and a little pricer. I do have a big 7 weight Winston for steelhead but haven't fished any of the rest.
    I would appreciate any of you talking about your favorite nymph set up in a 5 weight, including length.

Thanks for your help

I'd look at the Redington Vice. Can't go wrong for $199. And there's a youtube shootout
    versus the Sage X. It performs very well for 1/4 of the cost.

Eric

You might consider the Redington “Hydrogen” series or the TFO BVK series. I think both these rods are pretty good for the money.

I have an Echo3 4 wt, 5wt and 6wt. Awesome rods, perfect for nymphing and light as a feather. The lower priced Echo's are much more "noodly" in my opionion. The Echo 3 is much more stiff and perfect for nymphing, which I do 90% of the time. Those rods were $349 if I remember correctly. I love them.

I also have a Reddington Vice 3wt and 7wt. These are also great rods and very fast and stout. Perfect for nymphing and a steal at $199. I think they're great rods for the money. Can't go wrong.

Most use a 9' or 9'6" for nymphing but now some are using 10 and 11 footers.

For small nymphs with lighter tippets some use #4 weight rods....

Most use the #5 line rods.

For bigger water with larger nymphs and heavier tippets for big trout and steelhead you might like a 6 weight rod in 9'6".

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I too use an Echo3 5wt matched with an Echo Ion reel and this outfit just performs great and very reasonably priced.

I kind of expect some blowback but my first decent setup was an ll bean complete 6 weight. For $100 something I'd say it the best bang for your buck anywhere. Plus they lifetime guarantee everything. I still use it from time to time. It is a great rod for a great price. I actually have a ll bean 9 weight complete I bought a few years ago because of the price and that is my salmon/steelhead rod to this day.

I'm quoting another member here but he heard from a Sage employee that the number one cause of broken tips was splitshot. Based on that I'd say cheaper is wiser. I found a Cabelas MTx 5 wt 2 years ago and bought one close out. $369 originally paid $69. Very nice rod when there's a indicator & some weight on the leader.

One of the best rods I have for the money was the TFO BVK in 10ft 4wt. That is all you need on virtually any stream around norcal for nymphing. It does a good job of throwing a bobber or high stickn. Fly fishing isn't cheap for the newbie so get a decent rod (not great) but more importantly...... Get out on the water!

Best 5wt for nymphing is a 3 or 4 wt, if we're talking trout. lighter is better for feel and ease. The nymph specific rods have very good backbone, so let him know they can handle big fish.
    Exit 7