Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favorite 5 weight rod for nymphing?

Quote Originally Posted by eastbayed View Post
    My oldest son finally has a decent job and is looking for a 5 weight for nymphing. He's thinking about a Sage, but frankly, for tossing lead that seems like overkill with a high price. My favorite nymphing rod is a 4 weight St Croix Legend. I've never used/tried some of the newer rods like TFO, Redington, Loomis, Echo, or even Cabela's. I know that Sage, Thomas and Thomas, Orvis, and Winston are great brands and a little pricer. I do have a big 7 weight Winston for steelhead but haven't fished any of the rest.
    I would appreciate any of you talking about your favorite nymph set up in a 5 weight, including length.

Thanks for your help
    Check the classified...good nymph set-up for a very fair price
    Exit 7

Either a W&M Granger or just plain old "Granger" 8642 (bamboo, 8'6" long 4.2 oz weight) in any of the grades. The other is a Powell West Branch 8'6" .
    "For years, every time he stopped at the house to collect his paper money, it was the same routine. The old man in the wheelchair would ask him how he'd like it if he took him fishing and showed him a few things. He always said he'd like that.
    When the old man finally passed away, his wife gave the kid a box of flies. He has them today, tucked away in a closet, never to be fished."

Walt C.<---------------------------- not me, though I wish I had written it.

Honestly, my favorite was the Sage 99 which is discontinued.......you can still find them....
    Next favorite is a Sage ESN 11ft 3wt......light bobber and Czech style (throws a dry too).
    But those are for smallish waters and fish....
    What works best on the T and other bigger waters is an 11ft switch rod.

It's true, the first thing they do at Sage is use a magnifier on the break.....yep, another shot bruise....
    My advise is, DON'T OVERHAND CAST.........roll cast, water load and snap T.........for best effect.
    I see too many guys struggling with light rods on the T. A 6wt or better and up-lined 1-2wts. for a bobber.
    If you buy a cheap rod....you don't get a warranty......spend a little more, and it's a lifetime rod.
    I still have my Sage LL from 40 years ago.......

Jim

Thank you to all for your thoughts and comments. This will help him to make an informed decision. Hopefully, he can try casting some of the offerings at a local fly shop.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfly View Post
    Honestly, my favorite was the Sage 99 which is discontinued.......you can still find them....
    Next favorite is a Sage ESN 11ft 3wt......light bobber and Czech style (throws a dry too).
    But those are for smallish waters and fish....
    What works best on the T and other bigger waters is an 11ft switch rod.

It's true, the first thing they do at Sage is use a magnifier on the break.....yep, another shot bruise....
    My advise is, DON'T OVERHAND CAST.........roll cast, water load and snap T.........for best effect.
    I see too many guys struggling with light rods on the T. A 6wt or better and up-lined 1-2wts. for a bobber.
    If you buy a cheap rod....you don't get a warranty......spend a little more, and it's a lifetime rod.
    I still have my Sage LL from 40 years ago.......

Jim
    +1 on the switch. I have a Reddington Prospector 5wt and love it on the Yuba, Lower Sacramento, and Truckee. It lobs weight and bobber and is a monster tight line nymph rod. Still lets fish fight.

tight lines~!
    jrsyboy
    rob

eastbayed,
    I found a redington voyant (discontinued) on ebay for only $80. It is 10' 5wt that I put a RIO single handed spey line on. It has become my favorite single handed rod.

To me this thread nicely highlights that there are many ways to skin a cat and many interpretations of what nymphing means. Surely a good heavy bobber rod won't be a great tight line rod. Here are the rods I use:

Light nymphing tight line and indi - Redington hydrogen 3wt 9'
    Day to day - tfo BVK 6wt 9'
    Heavier junk - Sage z axis 6wt 10'
    Egg bite and pyramid - Redington switch 11' 5wt

To answer the question which is the best 5wt for nymphing. It has to be a 10 foot z-axis in 5 WT with a 6 wt WF line. This however is not my favorite rod. I bought it because it is the best of all worlds. One you can put a 5wt line on it and it fishes great as a dry fly rod. It can fish a camo intermediate from a float tube and it has enough length to mend on most of the nymphing waters of Nor Cal. I however use a 10' 4 wt on smaller streams and lakes and would never leave home without the 10' 6WT z-axis. The 6wt works best on the upper and lower sac, Yuba, Feather, Putah at high flows, American, East Carson at higher flows and of the course the Truckee on most days.

I agree with the TFO BVK Series. I got a 6-wt with BVK reel and I really am pleased. At the slightest chance I need to go heavier than my Loomis StreamDance/Abel 5-wt combo with my TFO BVK 6-wt setup. Cast so well and feels so smooth. On top of that, it's guaranteed for any reason. Can't beat it for the pricing. Good luck.

I had the opportunity to fish a Guide-provided TFO 9' BVK 5 weight from a drift boat on the Madison recently. Standard nymphing set up for the Pallisades section of the river. Rio Gold #5 line. I was impressed! Better if you can find a used one at a discounted price!