Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pit River conditions

Default Pit River conditions

I'm considering going out there for a day or two end of this week. The only current report I've found is the Orvis one dated 10/15 that claims visibility is 18" and the water is muddy. The most recent Fly Shop report is two weeks old.

Has anyone been out there recently? What water conditions did you find?
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by chapmag View Post
    I'm considering going out there for a day or two end of this week. The only current report I've found is the Orvis one dated 10/15 that claims visibility is 18" and the water is muddy. The most recent Fly Shop report is two weeks old.

Has anyone been out there recently? What water conditions did you find?
    i'd recommend calling The Fly Shop for updated info, and also call Ted Fay in Dunsmuir, they might have some intel. I don't put much stock in the reports on the Orvis site personally, IME they just consolidate random data from various sources into a "report". YMMV.

Try finding the phone number for the Big Bend Store. They are across the road from the river around Pit 5.

We fished Pit 4 for a few days and the bite was fairly slow/modest for this time of year. Visibility seemed about normal for this stretch and flows were around 420. Water was nice and cool with nighttime temps around freezing. Saturday was howling with downed branches and whitecaps on the water. Sunday warmed up and we had mixed results with mostly smaller fish - except for the 20" sucker I skull-hooked. A few Oct caddis, maybe one isonychia, a few BWO's and sporadic caddis. The money was on #8 brown rubberlegs and #10 dark lords as well as green caddis larva. Good luck, maybe the fishing will improve in the coming days. Fly Shop re Pit 5: "fish it and you will die"

Pics: Pit 5 (raging), Pit 4 bow, Pit 4, Action at the campground, Fly shop board. Image res sucks but I don't think the forum will allow higher res images?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6804[1].jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	13510   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6800[1].jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	13509   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6781[1].jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	13511   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6775[1].jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	13512   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6772[1].jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	13513  

Last edited by Pupa; 10-17-2017 at 04:54 PM.

Do you think the front moving through on Thursday will dirty up 3 or 4 for this weekend?

I doubt a little rain will impact visibility. If you're lucky you might hit a nice bwo hatch.

I fished up there Friday afternoon and Thursday morning for the first time. Totally get it now...1 broken rod tip, 1 broken wading staff, 1/2 inch rip in my waders, and the best 2 hours of trout fishing I've ever had on Saturday morning. I hooked a decent sized brown on my 3rd cast that came unbuttoned at my feet, laughed it off and 2 casts later landed a 16"+ bow among many others. Pretty rad river.

Fishing slowed down the rest of the day but I still found a few. Visibility was not great, maybe 2ft max. Most of my fish came on a brown rubber legs in the morning and a black AP nymph in the afternoon.

Here's a quick video I made playing with the new GoPro Quik app: https://quik.gopro.com/v/H0vTyc73dU/

I've made 40 or so trips up there over the years but it's been awhile. Hesitant to head up solo but it truly is my favorite river to fish. Dark lords, black ap's and black pits have always worked for me till 11am or so then pick back up in the evening. Thanks for replies and sharing the vid.

Hi,

I am planning to be at the Pit this weekend as well (Saturday and/or Sunday). Let me know if you want to team up - it is good to have company when fishing in this river.

Best,

Tom

We just updated our Pit River report @ Kiene's......

It is not easy to get good, accurate feedback on the Pit River.

https://www.reports.americanflyfishing.com/pit-river
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........