Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pit River conditions

Tom, that sounds like a winner to me. Pm sent.

Tinsley and I fished Pit 3 on Saturday. Visibility was around 3 feet and looked like typical Pit river water. Flows were fine and the river was wadable with a staff, we crossed in a few locations. Lots of grabs, landed about half. A few real toads but most were the typical Pit rainbow. A homebrew black ap, dark lords and prince all in 14's were the only fly's needed.

Sounds like all is good Mickey.....thanks.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Hah, I'll figure that out in another day or two when I know if I caught poison oak or not.

On a side note, I'm retiring next year and moving out of state, heading to Northern Michigan. That very well could have been my last trip to the Pit short of a light winter and low spring flows. I had a Bjorin of a day so it's all smiles.

I started fishing the Pit in 1990/91? with death hikes up the canyon in 4. Pit 4 always guaranteed a case of poison oak, I look at it and catch it, but also lots of fish and no people. I eventually found my happy place fishing specific portions of Pit 5 until they raised the flows.

I had only fished Pit 3 once before but sought other water after seeing all the people. This was my first time back to Pit 3 in 15-20 years. Watching some others fish I did notice that it seems people are intimidated with the flows and wading conditions. It's understandable considering I've broken my wrist twice on that river while walking on submerged greased bowling balls. People unwilling to cross the river or wade aggressively bypass a LOT of good water. I was not able to criss cross like the pre-high flows of Pit 5 but it was close.

Why Northern Michigan?

Where you grew up?

Or have grandkids there?

Probably great hunting and fishing up there.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

My wife is originally from the Cheboygan area and still has family there. The wife and I both lived there for a short time after we were married back in 1989. Housing and land is also affordable. There are a lot of fishing opportunities ranging from salmon and steelhead on down to little brookies and other non trout "stuff". I'm really looking forward to the move.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
    My wife is originally from the Cheboygan area and still has family there. The wife and I both lived there for a short time after we were married back in 1989. Housing and land is also affordable. There are a lot of fishing opportunities ranging from salmon and steelhead on down to little brookies and other non trout "stuff". I'm really looking forward to the move.
    There are not steelhead in Michigan. Just lake run rainbows